Ports of Departure - Florida

reader5

My daughter and her husband are going on their first HAL cruise. (Daughter has been on a cruise with me on Celebrity). They are cruising to the Western Caribbean and according to the info from the TA they are flying into Miami on Air Canada and returning from Miami on American Airlines. I am familiar with Celebrity and using their air and flying into Fort Lauderdale with cruise departure from Port Everglades. I am just wondering if HAL ships use this port also and how far to travel from Miami to Port Everglades or is their a port in Miami that I am not aware of?

On the Internet it looks as though Miami is approximately 28 miles from Fort Lauderdale? This means that if the HAL ships leave from Port Everglades then the transfers included with the airfare would get them to this port in late afternoon. Their flight does not get into Miami until early afternoon so hopefully there are no delays.

Any advice is appreciated.

Just like Jean said - HAL uses Ft Lauderdale (Port Everglades) in that area of Florida.

You mentioned that they are using HAL air and won't be getting into Miami until early afternoon.

Are they using HAL transportation to get to the pier in Ft Lauderdale? Reading from what you have written it sounds as though they are making their own way to Ft Lauderdale.

An early afternoon arrival time in Miami, getting luggage, getting a taxi, traveling to the pier in Ft Lauderdale - hopefully not heavy traffic - they are cutting it close to make it to the ship on time.

Depending upon traffic, it is about 45 minutes from Miami Airport to Port Everglades. We flew into Miami a few times and caught a taxi to Hyatt Pier 66 which is very near Port Everglades.

If all goes as scheduled with no holdups or problems (fingers crossed), she'll be okay. Any problems at all and she could possibly have difficulty.

The best thing going for them if they have HAL transfer on the bus, is they have a chance the ship might wait a few minutes for a busload coming from Miami on an HAL bus if they are en route.

Yes, they are from Canada. They will be using the HAL air and transfers. I am hopeful that the flight is not delayed and the ship will wait for them.

I am not certain of the cruise departure time.

Thanks to all for such swift responses.

Seeing as they have HAL air and transfers, put their mind at ease that even if worst case scenario (and unlikely to happen) and they miss the ship, HAL will fly them to the next port of call to meet the ship. At least they know they will be able to join the ship if they miss sailaway.

The chances are highly in their favor. The ship probably sails at 5:00 P.M. That is the normal time.

Good luck. Let us know how how make out.

Archived