Dublin tours

zebra

A question on Trinity College and the Book of Kells.

Royal Princess will dock around 2 PM on our sailing. We would love to see the Book of Kells. As we understood there will be a long line to visit this site. With pre-purchase tickets on a set time will help us to skip the line?.

As I read some the posts, it will take about 15 min to drive the shuttle from port into Nassau Street (near Trinity College), will 3 PM a doable time?.

Thank you.

A question on Trinity College and the Book of Kells.

Royal Princess will dock around 2 PM on our sailing. We would love to see the Book of Kells. As we understood there will be a long line to visit this site. With pre-purchase tickets on a set time will help us to skip the line?.

As I read some the posts, it will take about 15 min to drive the shuttle from port into Nassau Street (near Trinity College), will 3 PM a doable time?.

Thank you.

Yes, the line could be 30-40 minutes, and pre-purchased tickets will allow you to skip it.

In theory you could make 3 pm, but note that there could be a queue to get off the ship (unlike early morning arrivals, everybody will be up and ready to get off) and to board the shuttles. And the you'll have about a 10 minute walk from the shuttle stop to the College. (Add a few more minutes to orient yourself and possibly take photos with the Oscar Wilde statue!) Our ship was due in port at 10:30 am, although I think we were slightly delayed. We were in line to get off before they even started letting people off, and we made it to Trinity College in time to join the student-led tour around noon.

(Also consider whether or not you're interested in the Trinity College tour -- before or after?)

Yes, the line could be 30-40 minutes, and pre-purchased tickets will allow you to skip it.

In theory you could make 3 pm, but note that there could be a queue to get off the ship (unlike early morning arrivals, everybody will be up and ready to get off) and to board the shuttles. And the you'll have about a 10 minute walk from the shuttle stop to the College. (Add a few more minutes to orient yourself and possibly take photos with the Oscar Wilde statue!) Our ship was due in port at 10:30 am, although I think we were slightly delayed. We were in line to get off before they even started letting people off, and we made it to Trinity College in time to join the student-led tour around noon.

(Also consider whether or not you're interested in the Trinity College tour -- before or after?)

Thank you for the information.

We will try for 4 PM time because 3PM might to be too rush and if there is enough time before we might try to join the Trinity College tour.

Good morning ( here on Australia, anyway)

We have already booked the skip the line tour at the Guiness Storehouse. Open ticket, so can go anytime.

How did you get an open ticket for the Guinness Storehouse? I only see a way to buy tickets with a very specific time of entry on their website.

Good morning ( here on Australia, anyway)

We have already booked the skip the line tour at the Guiness Storehouse. Open ticket, so can go anytime.

How did you get an open ticket for the Guinness Storehouse? I only see a way to buy tickets with a very specific time of entry on their website.

We bought our skip the line ticket through Expedia. No time allocation. Go when you want. Someone else has said they got their tickets through Viator.

We arrived on a Sunday as well, and I'm sure I saw the red City Sightseeing buses until at least 5 pm, which is when we were heading off to the Brazen Head pub for our evening folk dinner.

How was you meal at the Brazen Head pub? We are looking to book something for dinner, to avoid any long waits.

Trosebery, could you give me more information about the Newgrange tour with Mary Gibbons. I’m particularly interested in how you got from the cruise ship to the pick up point for the tour and how long it took to get there. Also how long was the tour? Did you have any trouble getting back to the ship in time? We really want to go to Newgrange and the Hill of Tara but can’t find any tours that leave from the port. Did your tour include Tara? Also how large was the tour group? Was it a full size bus?

Another option for Newgrange is Unplugged Tours. They pick up at the ship, and have agreed to drop us off at Trinity Collage at the end of the 4 hour tour. We then have put together a self guided walking tour for the rest of the day. Are Dublin Castle and St Patrick’s Cathedral worth getting tickets to tour?

How was you meal at the Brazen Head pub? We are looking to book something for dinner, to avoid any long waits.

This is the one we did:

https://irishfolktours.com/

These are the TripAdvisor reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d1382814-Reviews-An_Evening_of_Food_Folklore_and_Fairies-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

I wouldn't have given it 5 stars myself, but I thought it was okay. Our hostess and the musicians were both personable, although I would have enjoyed more folklore and fairy tales: a lot of evening was spent eating as there was quite a bit of food: the starter warm chicken salad was as much as I usually eat for a full meal! I did enjoy the company of our table companions -- almost all of whom were from our Roll Call.

There are lots of evening entertainment options. I know some of our Roll Call went to an evening (Traditional Irish Show, including dance) at the Belvedere and etc.

Another option for Newgrange is Unplugged Tours. They pick up at the ship, and have agreed to drop us off at Trinity Collage at the end of the 4 hour tour. We then have put together a self guided walking tour for the rest of the day. Are Dublin Castle and St Patrick’s Cathedral worth getting tickets to tour?

I cannot vouch for the Castle itself, as we didn't go in -- we got distracted by the Chester Beatty Library on the Castle grounds:

http://www.cbl.ie/

which is free and worth at least a quick visit if you're in the Castle area, especially if you're a bibliophile.

• 5 months later...

Hello Itsanita! I'm planning for our 7am to 10pm stop in Dublin on Princess in July 2019. I really want to see Newgrange but only half day, so I can see the rest of the city in the afternoon/evening. Unplugged Tours sounds perfect! Please let me know how your tour was: was the pickup in the morning when you arrived at port, what time did you arrive back in the city, and how much was the cost? Was it 2-4 of you in a taxi? Thanks so much!