What Should I Do for Airlie Beach?

chem eng

I am going to Airlie Beach on Feb. 25 on the NCL Jewel. The ship arrives at 7:00 am and leaves at 5:00 pm.

I have looked at all the offerings for boats to the various beaches at Airlie Beach and none of them really work. Being independent it will be a challenge to get off the boat and get on a tender. With the ship leaving at 5:00 pm and being tendered the latest we could get in line is about 4:00 pm. One of the other passengers looked at chartering a boat but he didn't get enough responses to want to take the risk.

Do you have any suggestions to what I can do in Airlie Beach. The Whats In Port website says that there will be locals with Offers. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks

Chris

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but this was our experience in Airlie Beach (pre-cyclone Debbie) last year.

We took the (free?) shuttle into town (we were on Celebrity Solstice, but I think the shuttle is operated by the city, so is available to any cruise pax), which dropped us at a parking lot where there was a craft fair/flea market set up. Interesting to walk thru. There was a beach right there, but due to jellies, we couldn't swim (this was in mid-march).

There is a great public lagoon located about 15 minutes walk from the shuttle drop off, and free to all. It was quite nice and uses water from the ocean. There are a few restaurants right there and more across the street and up several blocks. There are also nice restrooms right there.

There are picnic tables in the shade and sun, and the lagoon is fun to swim in. Not very deep but you can also sit around the edges in the water. There is a shallow kids area too. We stayed for a few hours, then walked back to shuttle and returned to the ship.

Again, we went about 2 weeks before cyclone Debbie hit and I understand Airlie was hit pretty hard. The lagoon and the whole city may be operating a lot better now, I'm sure someone from Australia will post with better info.

We enjoyed the day at the lagoon a lot. Shared a picnic table with a local family who told us all about the area. We weren't hungry, but the restaurant right there looked pretty good, food and beer available.

Good luck

ML

I was at Airlie Beach about a year ago. Airlie Beach is tender port. You will be dropped about a 15 minute walk or shuttle bus ride from the main Airlie Beach township. They will probably have a small market on the foreshore. I was able to book a tour at the markets. Also had lunch at a local hotel which was reasonably priced. After lunch I went on a jet boat trip run by a company called Pioneer Jet Boats. It was a great adrenalin rush with lots of spins and water involved.I recall it was about $60 and went for a 45 minutes maybe. Afterwards they drove us back to the tender dock area. I hope you enjoy your time at Airlie.

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but this was our experience in Airlie Beach (pre-cyclone Debbie) last year.

We took the (free?) shuttle into town (we were on Celebrity Solstice, but I think the shuttle is operated by the city, so is available to any cruise pax), which dropped us at a parking lot where there was a craft fair/flea market set up. Interesting to walk thru. There was a beach right there, but due to jellies, we couldn't swim (this was in mid-march).

There is a great public lagoon located about 15 minutes walk from the shuttle drop off, and free to all. It was quite nice and uses water from the ocean. There are a few restaurants right there and more across the street and up several blocks. There are also nice restrooms right there.

There are picnic tables in the shade and sun, and the lagoon is fun to swim in. Not very deep but you can also sit around the edges in the water. There is a shallow kids area too. We stayed for a few hours, then walked back to shuttle and returned to the ship.

Again, we went about 2 weeks before cyclone Debbie hit and I understand Airlie was hit pretty hard. The lagoon and the whole city may be operating a lot better now, I'm sure someone from Australia will post with better info.

We enjoyed the day at the lagoon a lot. Shared a picnic table with a local family who told us all about the area. We weren't hungry, but the restaurant right there looked pretty good, food and beer available.

Good luck

ML

The lagoon is an artificial beach created because nasty little box jelly fish are in the ocean. It's right in the middle of town and it's a nice day out if you don't want to take an excursion.

We were also in Airlie Beach in March 2017. In addition to what was described above we noted that the local tourist office had a setup in the building right near the tender dock. Local volunteers with maps, etc. and some tour vendors, too. The shuttle left from right in front of that building. The craft fair was very nice and there are lots of tourist type beach shops and restaurants on the main street just past the craft fair. Big grocery store and a nice wine shop just off the main street. Very pleasant town.

I do hope they have recovered sufficiently from the cyclone to provide similar services to you. We were still in Australia when they were hit and the news photos of Airlie Beach were awful.

From what I can find out the lagoon reopened in September. You could look at getting the ferry to Hamilton Island, which is the only resort open at the moment, other than a small one which requires a water taxi. http://www.cruisewhitsundays.com/transfers/ They are running a morning and afternoon service to Daydream Island as the rebuilding has finally commenced there. It would be for the tradies who work there.