Guadeloupe

Does anybody know if there is a way of getting from ther ship to Deshaies without booking a trip.Would like time to look around and find any filming locations for Death in Paradise in my own time and visit the Botanical gardens

Think you would have to hire a taxi to do it on your own. It's a fair distance. We did the first ship excursion to the area just over four years ago. It was good value, and we got to visit all the main areas that are seen in the programme. The botanical gardens are also worth a visit. I can highly recommend the ship's tour.

Think you would have to hire a taxi to do it on your own. It's a fair distance. We did the first ship excursion to the area just over four years ago. It was good value, and we got to visit all the main areas that are seen in the programme. The botanical gardens are also worth a visit. I can highly recommend the ship's tour.

I fully agree.

We did the ship's tour last April and it included a walking tour of the Death in Paradise locations.

The botanical gardens are excellent.

Deshaies is 25 miles from the port and the only real way to do it on your own is car hire as Miller says.

Buses do run from Pointe a Pitre but I believe they can be random, and that could be a problem getting back on time.

English isn't widely spoken so if your French is iffy (like mine) the tour is probably best.

They do offer a trip to the botanical gardens and to Deshaies where you can wander round yourself I have booked it for my January cruise Some posters who have already done this trip have said it is a good trip and some had a drink at the bar they use in the TV programme

To see all the locations you'd have a problem as they use locations all over the island

I would not recommend getting a taxi There as it is as said before a long way and I wouldn't want the risk of missing the boats departure

We always prefer DIY but this is one place I would definitely recommend a ship's trip. After several busy days, we decided to have a beach day (we don't watch D in P so don't know the locations). The beach is 10 minutes drive away so we walked to the dock gate where the taxis were waiting. Several people were trying to get a taxi to the beach but the drivers refused saying they wanted us to do a full day trip. They were really arrogant and rude and when one lady said we wanted to go to a beach and not a full day, the driver poked her with his finger and said 'lady you are not listening to me'. At this point we walked away and decided to go into the town. Not really a nice place, the streets are very dingy but we eventually came to a fish market by a small harbour and then a nice spice market. We passed an hour outside a bar with others from the ship and then returned for a quiet afternoon. We later spoke to someone else who had been at the taxis and they went to the tourist info who gave them bus details, it cost them 2 euros to get to the beach.

In all the years we have travelled, I have never come across such a rude bunch of taxi drivers, most of whom didn't speak much English so a full day would have been a waste.

Just watched the first new Death in Paradise and it brought back some great memories of our visit last April.

The police station is the old vicarage, but the beach bar is in normal use. The shack on the beach is a prop which is only set up on Deshaies Beach while they are filming.

Incidentally the tour description did not mention the visit to the DIP set but, because of so many requests, TUI asked the tour company to cover it for UK guests, according to our guide.