Please help us decide what to do!

tispwisp

Which shore excursion should we do? We will do the winning excursion!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which shore excursion should we do? We will do the winning excursion!

• Deluxe Playa Maya Beach Break $66 pp includes lunch
    • Tulum Mayan Ruins & Xel-Ha $129 pp includes snack
    • XCaret Ecological Park $99 pp
    • Other

DH and I can't decide which shore excursion to do on our April, Coral Princess cruise. This will be our first time stopping in Cozumel and there are three excursions we want to take, but only have time to do one! I am 37 and DH is 48 and we are both active, healthy, and ready to learn to snorkel on this cruise (we have even bought our own snorkel gear!) We love beaching, sailing, exploring and learning.

Since we can't make up our minds we have decided to let you Cozumel experts pick a winner! We will go with the excursion that gets the most votes! Any comments would also be helpful!

Thanks for your help!

Two of the 3 are on the mainland. Before I did Playa Mia, I would just jump in a taxi and go to Paradise Beach. You can walk to Playa Mia from there if you wish.

There are a number of snorkel trips you can arrange first, and then get crocked. :D

Here is one:

http://www.mayanparadisetours.com/

You can also try snuba at one of the stops if you wish.

Amy, here is another place to check out the excursions: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Snorkeling

We went to Paradise Beach and then went on the snorkel/snuba excursion. It was great! (This was pre-Wilma, but I am sure they will take you to somewhere that has great snorkeling.)

Would you have enought time to snorkel after the Tulum tour? (Maybe that is what Xel-Ha is?) I hear Tulum is one of the best Mayan ruins. If that is important to see, I would vote for that excursion.

Unless you snorkel from a boat to/from, you won't find much in the way of snorkeling at Playa Mia.

Xel Ha is interesting, especially where the fresh water mixes with the salt water, but leads to interesting optical effects. When you get closer to the pure salt water, vision improves greatly. There willl be some large fish by the footbridge cause they (and you) can feed them there.

Haven't been to the Xcaret yet, but you can probably find reviews of in this forum.

I thought I read somewhere that Xcaret is not up and running since Wilma???

I was at Paradise Beach this past April - FABULOUS!! Personally, I would do this over Playa Mia if you want a beach day.

If you want to have a good snorkle experience you should do an excursion from a boat rather than the beach. There is not much to see near the shore where the "white sand" beaches are.

I am looking into some snorkle boat excursions for my Jan trip. There are a bunch out there both through the cruiselines and privately. You might be able to snorkle via a boat AND have beach time!! I am thinking about going to Playa Palancar for the beach. There is a dive shop located there as well which will take you out on a boat to the reef to snorkel.

Sorry to have added to your list instead of narrowing it down for you!! :o

Here you go:

1.- Walk off the ship and find the car rentals, get a convertible bug (stay away from mopeds) get a map at the car rental place

2.- Drive south to Playa Palancar, get there and hire their boat and guide for a quick snorke trip to Palancar and Colombia reefs, should be about 30 dollars p/p

3.- hang out at the beach for a bit afterwards, soak up some sun

4.- continue to drive south and go all the way around the island to view the east side, stop in at Chen Rio for beach, or Coconuts for lunch

5.- follow the road until you get back to town, go in town park the car and find the Museum, spend an hour there

6.- after the Museum walk all over town and do some shopping and people watching, maybe have snack or drink on the main square

7.- turn the car in, get back to the ship

You will not have missed much! Enjoy Cozumel!!!

As to Xel Ha and Xcaret, they are both great. However, if you are on a cruise with limited shore time from Cozumel, I would do something on Coz. You spend too much time taking the ferry to Playa Del Carmen, then a taxi or bus, then return to Coz. Leaves much too little time at the destination. Especially Xcaret is an all-day and all evening experience, with a night show and Mayan ballgame not to be missed. These are best done from an all-inclusive or other land-based vacation in Riviera Maya or Cancun where you are not on a tight cruise ship schedule. Best Mayan ruins tours are also from mainland, for the same reason: Not enough time from ship.

Snorkeling is great in Coz, and if you really want an experience, try a resort scuba. Takes about 2-3 hours total, including a dive on a shallow reef, costs $55 - $95.

Archived