Chichen Itza by Airplane Tour

mikeydoo

they use Cessna Sky Caravans Fed X used them too good plane I have flown one single engine turbo prop

they are charters and the pilot....can be anything or one with a licence One just went down on that same tour... no survivors. My experience in So american countries is their charter pilots are pretty much cowboys... I dont use the term Mexican and Pilot in the same sentence they can be a little to macho oriented... Part of a phrase I remember when I was flying.." Dead reckoning is when you reckon wrong your dead" that applies to passengers and crew alike... Hope this doesn't offend anyone ,

Ever see the bandit scene in Treasure of Sierra Madre? " Badges, we dont got no badges, we dont have no badges, we dont got to show no stinking badges " Or Forrest Gump's life is like a box of chocolate.

Part of a recognized airline ???

Me....Id think long and hard...besides the pilot you have the airplane and maintenance .

We were there pre O years (before they existed)....as Dan states, it is not a recognized airline....ours had no door...I mean no door at all! The stairs were removed, we took off, and the hole, where the door was suppose to be, remained open. They served us warm beer, what a ride....we were young and a bit more reckless in those years....we had a blast, and since it was years ago, we were allowed to climb all the way up the monuments. (I heard they were roped off now). Would we do it now....probably no, but what a story it is to tell now! In answer to your question, is it safe....hmmmm maybe...is it worth it.....mmmmmmm maybe. It was for us at the time.

I don't know about the planes used in Mexico; we did a similar excursion with Oceania in Guatemala to go to the Mayan ruins of Tikal. The plane had doors. ;-)

Everything was well organized and safe. We were two groups, both planes were small, 12 passengers each if I remember correctly, maybe less. A bus took us from the ship to a small military airport, but we arrived at a commercial airport near Tikal. The tour company welcomed us with real fruit punch and a lunch package.

Small modern busses took us to Tikal, where the tour guide talked the guard into allowing our small bus in. Everybody else had to walk in. So if your group includes members who have trouble walking - we had three of them - don't complain, be happy!

The tour company put a table with refreshments up while we were visiting. On the way back, they took us to a nice restaurant for a full meal, then we returned to the airport for the flight back.

This excursion was very expensive, but worth every penny because we have no intention to do a land trip in Guatemala. Same with the Yucatan Peninsula.