Teens on Regal or Royal?

redbaron70

Hi all, we're thinking about cruising with our teenagers (16 and 14) over spring break on either Regal or Royal. They've cruised before and don't need a lot of bells and whistles (eg, water slides), but they have enjoyed the teen club on other lines. If you've cruised with your teens on either of these ships in the past, how did they like it the teen club and the ship in general? Thank you in advance!

Hi all, we're thinking about cruising with our teenagers (16 and 14) over spring break on either Regal or Royal. They've cruised before and don't need a lot of bells and whistles (eg, water slides), but they have enjoyed the teen club on other lines. If you've cruised with your teens on either of these ships in the past, how did they like it the teen club and the ship in general? Thank you in advance!

Our three grandchildren were not teenagers but they loved the kids club on the Regal.

38215834176_f11dd23559_z.jpg

Sign them up as soon as you board and if they meet others their age I'm sure they'll have a good time

Howard

We didn't cruise with teens, but those we saw on the ship last summer seemed to be having a great time. I do wish they had been taught that linking arms and walking 4 abreast (blocking anyone else from walking) wasn't really acceptable behavior, but they were enjoying themselves. And they were gracious when confronted with the concept that they couldn't block the entire hall when it was pointed out to them. There were several hundred teens on the ship...or so it seemed.

No personal experience with this, but to summarize many posts I have read, teenagers often go to the teen club the first evening to meet others their age and then spend much of the cruise with their new friends away from the teen club itself. There may be some teen club activities they will participate in, but definitely not to the same extent of the younger children in their age clubs.

We HAVE cruised with our teens on Regal and Royal so here are our experiences: (see my "signature" below)

(You don't state which weeks / itineraries / length you are considering so I'll include 7 & 10 days)

-7 day cruises have a lot more families of all ages than 10 day -- 10 day might be harder to find others that they get along well with; the 7 day on a major school break is often over run with more kids than usual.

-We've done both 7 & 10 days, always on the most of Canada's school March Break week - there are always some kids onboard, but the 7 day over the actual week of holidays was absolutely packed full of Canadian families. Our kids prefer it a little less busy and they commented that there were way too many kids onboard that week! Depends what your teens prefer.

-There are no waterslides, rock walls etc - you've already stated that your teens are ok with this -- some teens come on board and aren't aware and are disappointed.

-There are pools, movies, ping pong, food, sports court (sports court is sometimes used for fitness classes so its availability is limited) The ping pong on Royal & Regal is up top at the back but there are NETS around the tables so the balls can't get away! Awesome addition!

-The Royal & Regal are the newer style Princess ships - they are bigger, have a much nicer and larger buffet area which is great for hungry teens.

But they have fewer pool areas - on the Grand class ships (Caribbean, Grand, Golden, Crown, Ruby, Emerald etc) there are a lot more separated pool areas -- on those ships we found that it was nice to have the separation between the MUTS pool and the other main pool, plus pools at the back - but all for families, plus one at the back and one near the front just for adults.

On Royal & Regal the family pool (rectangle pool + fountain + round plunge pool) is MUTS, and the other pool is the adults only pool. So there is no "quieter" family pool. (Regal has a tiny splash pool at the back which as far as I know is still for everyone).

-Teen club has video games, other usual activities, and a very nice outdoor private teens only area with a private teens only hot tub. --The hot tub is only open certain hours so limited use but the outdoor area is quite nice. My teens have reported that the teen club staff is very good at ensuring adults don't sneak in and use the teen's outdoor space.

-The teen club activities are suited to a wide age group -- some will suit your teens, others won't. I agree with the comment that often the kids would meet up at the club then leave to go do other activities outside the club.

-We get our kids the soft drinks & more package so they can have mocktails, hot chocolate is included- available in the buffet on Royal & Regal, and the included coffee / tea at the buffet is pretty decent. Our daughter likes frozen coffee drinks so we give her a coffee card to use as well. There is a gelato place where you can buy good gelato and sundaes. There is included soft serve up by the main pool.

--We ask our teens every year - Princess or RCI ? They are content with Princess.

Geoherb and I enjoyed the royal back in Dec 2017. We don't have kids. It was a pre-Christmas cruise so there were not many teens on board because they weren't into their holiday break from school. We really enjoyed the sports area including ping-pong at the rear of the ship. Matt O is an excellent cruise director and has a great staff that will work with well the teens and kids.