Books and capris

debbiecape

Getting ready for the Jewel on 1/22 for a 14 day- anyoone have great book suggestions ?(the kind you just can't put down! )

I love anything by Philippa Gregory (like "The other Bolyn Girl")- just read the fabulous 'My Sister's Keeper" and "The Time Traveler's Wife"- have 'Memoirs of a Geisha " for next week. Any others that you just loved??

Also, any online ideas for shorts, capris, etc?

Debbie

I want to get "Once I was NOT upon the sea" a book by a cruise ship captain's wife who met him when working on a ship about being on a ship. Her name is Joyce Gleason Adamadas - I think. Found out about the book on cruise critic! We are going for 11 days, 5 at sea, over New Yeras so I'm taking 5 books - I read a lot and fast. I check best seller list in Sundays paper and only take paperback as they don't weigh as much. What kind of books do you like. I read a lot of murder mysteries and will suggest some if you like those books!

If you like to pack light, most ships have libraries, you could check out a book there and not have to pack extras. I also like to buy paperbacks that I don't mind leaving behind for others to read.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" is a great book, you'll love it. I've just started "Girl with a Pearl Earring" and so far, pretty good read.

I like to take light-hearted books with me, Janet Evanovich is great for that. I also love to take anything that is written by Dave Barry, I love humor when on a vacation. Of course, I discovered Kathy Reichs when I was staying at a hotel in Maine (see above!), someone else left the book behind. She's creepier than Patricia Cornwell, much more authentic in her detail. There's a new show based on her books, I think it's called "Bones", a little disappointing to see such a fine series made into television, but I'm happy for her success.

I recently read Skinny DIp and loved it. Anything else you can find by the Carl Hiiassen is equally good.

I also love Tim Dorsey.

Both of these authors are funny, and the plots are convoluted. Tim Dorsey has some of the same zany characters in all of his books I have read.

I particularly like these two authors because I live in Florida and most of their stories are set in Florida.

I like books with a beach, Caribbean or cruise theme on cruises. I enjoyed each of the following:

Melinda & Robert Blanchard: A Trip to the Beach: Living on Island Time in the Caribbean

Ann Vanderhoof: An Embarrassment of Mangoes (She & her husband left civilization behind & sailed around the Caribbean for a year or so - had some interesting experiences).

Pat Conroy: Beach Music (not really "Beach" themed, but one of the best writers - and books - I've read in a while!)

Carol

Archived