Cruise Insurance worked for us

summersigh

Due to a medical/hospitalization issue with DH we had to cancel our December cruise 4 days prior to sailing. We had taken out the Carnival Vacation Protection – about 10% of the cost of the cruise.

Between Carnival refunding taxes and port fees (got that credited from CCL within 1 1/2 weeks) and the insurance company we have gotten everything back except for the cost of the insurance within 1 month of applying.

Well worth the cost of the insurance for having to cancel 4 days before sailing!

We have a jewel of a TA who opened the claim for us, had them e-mail the proper forms and she sent copies of the papers I needed to send in with the claim as proof. DH had Dr appointments within 2 weeks and their office was kind enough to fill out their sheet in a timely manner.

Here was what the policy CCL offers covers:

• · If you need to cancel for some of the most common reasons (severe weather, illness, etc.) you'll get 100% of the cost of your trip back, in cash. If you need to cancel for any reason not covered by the plan — any reason at all — you'll get 75% back in a Future Cruise Credit Certificate.

• Trip Delay: Up to $500 for "catch-up" expenses like meals, hotel and transportation
  • Baggage: Up to $1,500 if your stuff is lost, stolen or damaged, and up to $500 reimbursement if you have to buy necessary items while your bags are delayed 24+ hours
  • Medical: Up to $10,000 if you get sick or injured on your vacation
  • Emergency Evacuation: Up to $30,000 for emergency medical evacuation and repatriation

I really appreciate this post. Glad to hear he cane through well. Did you enjoy your May cruise?

I just now (within minutes) purchased our coverage. I hope we don't need it but I feel better we have it.

Thank you for taking the time to share this experience. Even though we buy our travel insurance through insuremytrip.com, we have cruised with older family members who like the convenience of one-stop shopping through Carnival. It's comforting to hear a personal testimony that if they had an issue, their policy would completely and quickly cover them.