Gluten Free Meals

My daughter (3) has CD and she did not got sick once while sailing on Adventure of the seas. We contacted the special needs dept before sailing, then on embarkation day went and talked to the maitre d and then on the first night talked the waiters. They made her safe food and she loved it. Expect the first night to have longer than normal dinner because they wont have anything ready. The second night you will have GF rolls waiting. You will also pre order your dinner the night before so you will not have to wait for them to prepare it during dinner. They cook it in and entirely different safe area for allergies. Everyone was very accommodating and knew exactly how to handle the food. In the windjammer you can ask a chef to prepare food for you and they will make you food in a safe space in kitchen. It takes time but they will do it with a smile! Be careful on the buffet (as I am sure you already know) because people will use non GF serving spoons on GF items. I watched a lady take tongs from one section of the buffet, walk them over the GF island get GF cookies with a nonGF tongs and then leave the tongs there. oops!

My daughter (3) has CD and she did not got sick once while sailing on Adventure of the seas. We contacted the special needs dept before sailing, then on embarkation day went and talked to the maitre d and then on the first night talked the waiters. They made her safe food and she loved it. Expect the first night to have longer than normal dinner because they wont have anything ready. The second night you will have GF rolls waiting. You will also pre order your dinner the night before so you will not have to wait for them to prepare it during dinner. They cook it in and entirely different safe area for allergies. Everyone was very accommodating and knew exactly how to handle the food. In the windjammer you can ask a chef to prepare food for you and they will make you food in a safe space in kitchen. It takes time but they will do it with a smile! Be careful on the buffet (as I am sure you already know) because people will use non GF serving spoons on GF items. I watched a lady take tongs from one section of the buffet, walk them over the GF island get GF cookies with a nonGF tongs and then leave the tongs there. oops!

Thank you for this info! I am really glad to hear they are accommodating!

We were on Explorer 5 years ago, and I was basically going to say exactly what this person said!! Do notify them ASAP, since you just found out, do talk to the Head waiter (also ask about getting GF pancakes & French toast for breakfast -- my DD asked @ night, then the next morning in Main DR we just told our waiter that we had ordered them the night before & she got them!) It's easier in MDR, but you can go to Windjammer. Also bring some gf snacks for yourself -- we're bringing a jar of PB, gf & regular crackers, gf pretzels & some gfree snack bars --it helps to have something in the room, and also to bring off ship on Port days, in case you can't find someplace safe to eat in Port. If you have a tablet or smart phone, download the Find Me Gluten Free app -- it's very good for locating restaurants with GF options, plus there are reviews, so you can be prepared in port.

Good luck & have a marvelous cruise!!

The snacks suggestion is a good one. My family, son, DIL, and 2 grandsons are GF with one also dairy free. They took several prepackaged items on cruises for port days so they had an easy way to eat without having to return to the ship. A good breakfast allowed for them to get through port time with just a few snacks. It's also nice to have a little something in the stateroom.

We were on Explorer 5 years ago, and I was basically going to say exactly what this person said!! Do notify them ASAP, since you just found out, do talk to the Head waiter (also ask about getting GF pancakes & French toast for breakfast -- my DD asked @ night, then the next morning in Main DR we just told our waiter that we had ordered them the night before & she got them!) It's easier in MDR, but you can go to Windjammer. Also bring some gf snacks for yourself -- we're bringing a jar of PB, gf & regular crackers, gf pretzels & some gfree snack bars --it helps to have something in the room, and also to bring off ship on Port days, in case you can't find someplace safe to eat in Port. If you have a tablet or smart phone, download the Find Me Gluten Free app -- it's very good for locating restaurants with GF options, plus there are reviews, so you can be prepared in port.

Good luck & have a marvelous cruise!!

Good idea on the snacks on port days! I will have to check into the app Thank you

Same deal as what others have said. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, and last year was my first cruise with it (I am also vegetarian, making it more complicated). Definitely email the special needs department to let them know that it is Celiac, not just GF. I was told NOT to eat in the WJ, except on embarkation, when people brought fresh stuff out from the back for me, due to cross contamination issues. That being said, we ate most meals in the MDR with absolutely no issues except the first night when they weren't prepared, and one meal at Sabor's where they brought out special chips for me that weren't in a shared fryer, and made up special GF veggie tacos. I also printed out a few pieces of paper that were very clear that I could not have wheat, barley, rye, farrow, whiskey, malted vinegar, etc., but that rice, corn, veggies, fruit, etc., were fine, just for some of the folks that didn't speak Engish as well. Am super sensitive and didn't get sick the whole trip. We were on Liberty, and I was even able to safely eat the GF pizza at Sorento's and the Udi's GF cookies at Cafe Promenade.

Good idea on the snacks on port days! I will have to check into the app Thank you

And yes! GF snacks (esp crackers, cookies, pre-packaged hummus, etc.) were great both for port days, and for bringing up by the pool. My partner would get something to nosh from WJ, and I could order a drink and have something to snack on myself.

• 4 weeks later...
Same deal as what others have said. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, and last year was my first cruise with it (I am also vegetarian, making it more complicated). Definitely email the special needs department to let them know that it is Celiac, not just GF. I was told NOT to eat in the WJ, except on embarkation, when people brought fresh stuff out from the back for me, due to cross contamination issues. That being said, we ate most meals in the MDR with absolutely no issues except the first night when they weren't prepared, and one meal at Sabor's where they brought out special chips for me that weren't in a shared fryer, and made up special GF veggie tacos. I also printed out a few pieces of paper that were very clear that I could not have wheat, barley, rye, farrow, whiskey, malted vinegar, etc., but that rice, corn, veggies, fruit, etc., were fine, just for some of the folks that didn't speak Engish as well. Am super sensitive and didn't get sick the whole trip. We were on Liberty, and I was even able to safely eat the GF pizza at Sorento's and the Udi's GF cookies at Cafe Promenade.

Thank you for this info!! So glad to hear this!