Plane Problems...?!?!?!

cpc002

I don't know if this will help but...I have been travelling by plane regularly since I was a few months old( I will only tell you that is a heck of a long time ago).And as an airline employee daughter you do alot of traveling I have never felt safer.Yes there are glitches once in awhile but like another poster wrote.You are more likey to get killed in a car crash then an airplane crash.I'm sorry if this is not helping you..but there is anti-anxiety meds that may help.If you are not into that kind of thing try a good stiff shot of scotch.

Fly with confidence in the pilot and yourself and all will be OK.

OK, you will all have a good laugh with this one. I HATE flying :eek: and - I am an airport firefighter. OK, now the good news - overall flying is very safe. It is a slow news day when they make flight emergency declarations national news. NOt to frighten you, but the reason I have a job is because these type of emergencies happen on a infrequent to regular basis. Now the really good news, is it is usually just precautionary, as we have seen with the last few incidents that made the news. Although I hate flying - (it is a controll issue for me - for anyone that knows me they would agree )- it is VERY safe to fly. Been an airport firefighter for more than a few years at a large city airport, no real incidents yet.

Now if you want to go with the risk management theory, stick with the airlines that fly the least different amount of plane types. For example, SWA sticks with just 737 aircraft (if incorrect, please don't be angry - last risk management class I had - it was a teaching point) - they have maintenance consistency. Just a thought.

Relax, you are going on vacation :D

OK, you will all have a good laugh with this one. I HATE flying :eek: and - I am an airport firefighter. OK, now the good news - overall flying is very safe. It is a slow news day when they make flight emergency declarations national news. NOt to frighten you, but the reason I have a job is because these type of emergencies happen on a infrequent to regular basis. Now the really good news, is it is usually just precautionary, as we have seen with the last few incidents that made the news. Although I hate flying - (it is a controll issue for me - for anyone that knows me they would agree )- it is VERY safe to fly. Been an airport firefighter for more than a few years at a large city airport, no real incidents yet.

Now if you want to go with the risk management theory, stick with the airlines that fly the least different amount of plane types. For example, SWA sticks with just 737 aircraft (if incorrect, please don't be angry - last risk management class I had - it was a teaching point) - they have maintenance consistency. Just a thought.

Relax, you are going on vacation :D

Everyone keep your fingers crossed about our luggage. All of these posts discussing the missing luggage and whatnot makes me scared. I'm not going to cross pack or anything. I just put all of my faith into US Airways and RCI

Everyone keep your fingers crossed about our luggage. All of these posts discussing the missing luggage and whatnot makes me scared. I'm not going to cross pack or anything. I just put all of my faith into US Airways and RCI

With you having a non-stop from Charlotte to Miami, provided you get to the airport early enough, your bags will make it fine. Don't worry. Where are you driving into Charlotte from? You are right about the Charlotte airport being very busy on Monday mornings. I live in Charlotte and travel quite a bit, definitely allow yourself enough time that morning so you will not feel rushed. This should help you relax on your flight as well, you will probably fall asleep on the plane and be safely in Miami before you know it. Have fun!

Overall flying is very safe, and I am sure that you will be fine. At times, problems do arise while flying - therefore if they did not - I would not have a job (Airport Firefighter). Now with that said, I have been working at an airport fire department for a few years - we only have an occassional emergency declaration, which so far have been in the best interest of the passengers - for the just in case (and absolutely NO crashes). Don't worry, I go on a whole lot more car accidents and sick/injured people than I could ever go on aircraft emergencies.

Follow the safety directions, sit back and relax - you will be at your destination before you know it.

Very few bags truly go missing and not for very long if you have them properly tagged. Don't put the cruise tags on until after your flight.

Just a few little tips here, put identification inside as well as outside your bags. Use plastic cable ties to further secure your outside I.D. tags to your bag. Take off any old tags from luggage, especially the bar coded ones on the bottom of bag.

I think you should re-consider cross packing. Pack at least one outfit in the others suitcase, if one suitcase goes missing, you will at least have a change of clothes. If you're squeamish about your clothes being in someone elses suitcase (it happens, there was once a post where a woman hated her clothes being washed with her husbands!) use a large ziploc bag.

Have fun with your planning, I love the excitement of first timers (I know, not your first cruise, but first flight!).

Charlotte! Talk about having a heart attack. We flew into Charlotte from Orlando on the way back from our Mariner cruise and I was not prepared for such a busy airport. My husband (who was flying for the first time and scared to death) said "hon, are we supposed to be so close to that other plane?". I looked out the window and there was a plane right next to us landing at the same time. :eek: I said "I've never seen one that close but lets hope they have more than one runway". As it turns out Charlotte is a VERY busy airport and has many runways with planes landing all over the place. It was a great experience and I admired their ability to handle so much air traffic with ease.

BTW, the word "next" (as in the plane was right next to us) is a very subjective word. Obviously it was far enough away that it was safe...no turbulence from them or of course danger of hitting...but it was closer than I have ever been to another plane in the sky, it was great!

Oh and just remember: The pilot wants to live just as much as you do and will do everything he can to have an uneventful flight.

They will check, double check, and triple check everything on the plane. We had to wait about an hour for them to find the source of an indicator light in the cockpit. It was annoying but gave us tremendous relief that they wouldn't let us leave without being certain all was safe.

One time I was flying by myself to my grandmothers house in Florida (I was 16). The landing gear got stuck in the up position...we had to circle the airport while they fixed it, I'm still here 13 years later. They will do everything in their power to make it work if something goes wrong.

In fact, did you see the plane a few months ago that had the twisted landing gear...it landed in California on national TV. WE were watching that a few weeks or so before we left for our own trip and my husband was mortified. He asked me after they landed "now if you were on that plane would you get on another plane to finish your trip or would you get in your car and drive home?" I said "Wow...I would hop on another plane right away!!! Do you know what the odds are of something happening to these people twice in the same day? Thats great, I would definately get on another plane!!!" He did one of these :rolleyes: and thought I was nuts. But it is true..the odds of something happening to us on a plane is much less than on land.

I'm really really excited. My best friend and I traveled to the airport yesterday so we would know how to get there and walked around to find the U.S. Airways check-in and where we get our luggage and park and stuff. Done all of this just so we wouldn't be lost or confused on the day of our trip. I know that if I get road rage bad, I could get airport rage too..:p

I hope USAIR fixed thier luggage problems from last year when thousands of pieces of luggage got lost over the Christmas weekend. Lots of unhappy people....

Charlotte is a big airport and whoever designed it should be shot. What a poorly designed airport. Everytime I fly there it seems I have to walk 5 miles to my connecting flight.

I hope USAIR fixed thier luggage problems from last year when thousands of pieces of luggage got lost over the Christmas weekend. Lots of unhappy people....

Charlotte is a big airport and whoever designed it should be shot. What a poorly designed airport. Everytime I fly there it seems I have to walk 5 miles to my connecting flight.

I DID have to walk a while to get to my connecting flight at Charlotte. And the map that they show you makes it seem like it is right around the corner but it seemed as though we had to walk to the other side of the airport...and its a BIG airport!!!

The OP seems to live in the area though so at least a connecting flight won't be a problem like it is for us who live across the country from most of the cruise ports.

Archived