Never sailed HAL - Question on Cabins

fitters

We are looking to book the Oosterdam next December and was wondering about cabin choices. We want a balcony. If we decide to book a category VF (lowest balcony), would there be a chance of being upgraded since there is only 4 cabins in this category? Does HAL offer "upsells" like NCL does?

Thanks in advance for any input. I've heard HAL is superb when it comes to food and service.....

My husband and I are about to go on our third HAL cruise. The first time was our first cruise and we had an inside cabin, which was very spacious, compared to Carnival. Last time on the Zuiderdam, and this time on the Oosterdam, we have a VA aft cabin, 4174. There is nothing more relaxing than watching the wake from one's verandah! There is more room on an aft verandah also, compared to one on the side. Happy cruising--we love it!

Verandah's seem to sell out quickly, so if there is a particular category verandah you want, book it so you won't be disappointed. We sailed the Zuiderdam and had suite 5185, which is a corner aft suite. The verandah was HUGE, we loved it and would never hesitate to book this suite again. We also had the VA next door, cabin 5185, which was very nice.

Don't bank on an upgrade, book the category you will be happy with, or better yet, book the exact cabin you want so you are not disappointed.

The only cabins left in Verandahs when I booked our upcoming cruise was VH (which is a guaranty). Our kids just got their cabin assignment and got upgraded to VA aft. They are thrilled. So you can get upgraded with a guarantee. I'm not sure how often this happens though. They would have been happy with anything as long as it had a balcony, so we were fine with it.

I have sailed with both NCL and HAL. HAL does not offer 'upsells' like NCL. For those that are HAL experienced only, upsell in NCL terms does not mean upgrade. NCL has an upsell desk that contacts folks and offers upgrades for a nominal pp price when they want to move inventory. Happy Sailing!

• 8 months later...

Archived