Crazy weather question.

rjdunn

I am going to be going to Alaska for the first time, but I am from Miami. I was born and raised down here, and I am used to really hot summers over 95. What should I expect the weather to be like? I am very confused. :o

I am going to be going to Alaska for the first time, but I am from Miami. I was born and raised down here, and I am used to really hot summers over 95. What should I expect the weather to be like? I am very confused. :o

Fellow Floridian here. From what I can tell the weather is just as confused as you. During summer think of it as a FL winter. Wear something light with heavier items over it and be prepared to take things on and off all day long. Except in AK you apparently don't need to walk through doors for the weather change. Rain patterns similar to our's, did you wake up today? Expect it to rain at some point. Most of it runs about 80-85 inches of rain per year vs our 45-55 inches, so regular showers lasting longer than our's.

What should I expect the weather to be like? I am very confused. :o

40's-70's Usually some rain. We've had mid 30's in early May and 80 in July in Southeast Alaska during our trips. You can't really plan for anything specific. Be prepared for anything.

I'm a summer girl also! Expect to be cold!

I was in Vancouver/Alaska for 2 weeks last July. I only had rain one morning in Vancouver. I had a waterproof jacket with me that I wore every day as a windbreaker/extra layer. Ketchikan weather was probably the most enjoyable. In Juneau, I went whale watching and was out on the boat for 3 hours. It was cloudy and 53 degrees. In Skagway, I went as far north as Emerald Lake. Once again, it's cold with the wind. Glacier Bay was in the 40s plus the ship is moving so it was really cold!

Layer up - I would wear a dri-fit t-shirt or long sleeve knit shirt under a flannel shirt. Sometimes I had on a fleece jacket and the waterproof jacket. Sometimes I wore fishing pants over leggings so they protected me from the wind but were light weight and easy to pack.

Just remember, there's humidity and you are usually close to water or up on mountains. Then add some wind! It's a really casual place. Just concentrate on layering up and staying warm!

I enjoyed Alaska but after 2 weeks, I was ready to shed the layers and be back in Texas wearing flip-flops!

Enjoy your trip!

Patti