First Cruise With P&O.

We have just returned from our first P&O venture on the Pacific Explorer and I have to say it was far more enjoyable than we had begun to expect. This ship had some seriously bad reviews in the early days and I’m happy to report we experienced none of the plumbing issues or related smells.

I did not cruise on Dawn Princess but I do like the decor on the Explorer. The food in The Waterfront not so much. Fish they did very well, meat we found over cooked and tough. The Pantry exceeded our expectations in both variety and quality and we were very happy with our one meal in 400 Gradi.

Live music of an evening is a matter or personal taste and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The Blue Room, Explorer Hotel and Ocean Bar all had musicians of a very high standard, some we would pay to see.

We enjoyed our time aboard chasing (or avoiding) TC Gita around the islands and the secret for those used to cruising on more premium lines is, I believe, to manage your expectations.

I believe we got value for money, but at the end of the day I think I’d rather spend a little more to get a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure if you are mixing up the Pantry with the Waterfront which is the main dining room. Not one of the nine of us could find fault with the food in the Waterfront main dining room. Yes the fish in the Pantry was pretty good each day, DAMHIKT, and all the rest of the food in the Pantry was good with the odd day when one or two of the outlets didn't quite come up to scratch

We have just returned from our first P&O venture on the Pacific Explorer and I have to say it was far more enjoyable than we had begun to expect. This ship had some seriously bad reviews in the early days and I’m happy to report we experienced none of the plumbing issues or related smells.

I did not cruise on Dawn Princess but I do like the decor on the Explorer. The food in The Waterfront not so much. Fish they did very well, meat we found over cooked and tough. The Pantry exceeded our expectations in both variety and quality and we were very happy with our one meal in 400 Gradi.

Live music of an evening is a matter or personal taste and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The Blue Room, Explorer Hotel and Ocean Bar all had musicians of a very high standard, some we would pay to see.

We enjoyed our time aboard chasing (or avoiding) TC Gita around the islands and the secret for those used to cruising on more premium lines is, I believe, to manage your expectations.

I believe we got value for money, but at the end of the day I think I’d rather spend a little more to get a little more.

Cheers for the review of your cruise, glad you enjoyed it.:D

I don't mind P&O but then I go into it with open eyes and know full well what to expect. The biggest bug-bear I have about P&O is listening to all the people on-board complaining about things - the service, the food, the inability to match Princess/RCL/etc.

I don't mind P&O but then I go into it with open eyes and know full well what to expect. The biggest bug-bear I have about P&O is listening to all the people on-board complaining about things - the service, the food, the inability to match Princess/RCL/etc.

Agreed, I don't expect it to be like or better than the other lines and often I am surprised with certain elements where they are.

Not sure if you are mixing up the Pantry with the Waterfront which is the main dining room. Not one of the nine of us could find fault with the food in the Waterfront main dining room. Yes the fish in the Pantry was pretty good each day, DAMHIKT, and all the rest of the food in the Pantry was good with the odd day when one or two of the outlets didn't quite come up to scratch

No, not mixing them up. Horses for courses I suppose. The Waterfront menu we found to be very limited at dinner, 3 options each for entree, main and dessert and one of those desserts stayed the same for the entire 10 nights. The lunch menu was 4 times the size and we found it far superior in quality and variety.

No, not mixing them up. Horses for courses I suppose. The Waterfront menu we found to be very limited at dinner, 3 options each for entree, main and dessert and one of those desserts stayed the same for the entire 10 nights. The lunch menu was 4 times the size and we found it far superior in quality and variety.

Ah I see where you are coming from, and initially I felt the same until I realised that the main dining room has actually split into 3 themes. When you consider that you realise that the menu is wider than Princess.