Wheelchair assistance at FLL

Optotronics

I just ordered a scooter for my mother in law to use during our cruise.

They told us the scooter would be waiting in the cabin, but what about during check in and boarding?

She can walk short distances and I'm sure would not have a problem walking to her cabin without one if there is no standing in line waiting (as is usually the case for us). Standing in line for long will tire her out. Does princess have wheelchairs available at the terminal to help her out?

I have a family member who normally uses a walker, but cannot walk the usually long distances involved in boarding. What we have always experienced on Princess (multiple ports) is there is an HA assist waiting area where the family sits after check in. At the appropriate time, multiple males from the ship appear, some with wheelchairs, some without. Those with chairs load the waiting individuals who need them and take them to their cabins. Those without chairs go to a person waiting in a chair and push them (the gangways can be steep and not amenable to family members pushing or the person wheeling themselves). The process is repeated until all those passengers needing help are assisted.

The process when disembarking the ship is that there is an assigned HA assist waiting area. The guys come there with wheelchairs and assist you off the ship.

I've read that there is wheelchair assistance available from the curbside drop off, thru security and check in, and to the waiting area. At this point you are seated and they take the wheelchair. This is supposedly supplied by the port personnel, not by Princess. It has never been offered to us, perhaps because they see the walker.

It is recommended that you phone Princess in advance and have it noted on your reservation that you will require wheelchair assistance for boarding. We had never done that, but after reading it here, I took care of it for our upcoming cruise. Supposedly it helps them to know how many people will be requiring assistance and in some cases the need for assistance will be noted on that person's luggage tag (it is not currently noted on her tag--I've checked) We were instructed by Princess to tell the personnel outside the terminal that she needs assistance and is "on the list." There is also a mobility questionnaire that need to be completed if you are using Princess transfers to or from the cruise port. This enables Princess to have the sort of transportation that you'll need, and they have arranged a special vehicle for us.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks, I will call them.

I was concerned about having something for her to sit in while waiting in that long check in line.

I guess we've been lucky to never have any wait a 2nd time to board the ship after we check in and get our cruise cards.

We usually arrive at the terminal late in the morning via Princess transportation. In each case, boarding had not started after we'd checked in, so there was a brief wait.

You might want to verify that the scooter will be waiting in your cabin--probably the person who told you this was correct. When we've rented one (different cruise line, different port), it was available from the supervisor at the terminal, reserved in her name. Thus, she had it available for the check in and boarding process.

I just used wheelchair assistance at Ft. Lauderdale for our Feb 2-10th cruise on the Crown, and offer the below as my experience. Your mileage may vary.

We told every person we encountered as we drove into the port that we needed wheelchair assistance, and were directed to a space near the curb for me to get out, while my friend drove forward to the luggage dropoff, and ultimately the parking garage. There was a man with a clipboard, who wrote down each person's arrival, and we were taken care of in that order. Make sure you flag him down to get your name on the list. There was no checking if someone had already told Princess they required help. First come, first served. There are quite a few benches outside for people to sit while they wait.

I waited about an hour for someone to bring a wheelchair for me. (we arrived around 12:30pm) That person took me through check-in and security, before turning me over to someone from the ship who wheeled me onto the ship, and to my cabin where my scooter was waiting. I had booked through specialneedsatsea.com This was the 3rd time using their services, and I have been extremely pleased with the service and the equipment.

There was nothing on my luggage tag to denote that I required assistance, and there was no list to compare to. As mentioned above, it was first come, first served, for wheelchair assistance from the curbside drop off into the terminal, and through check-in and onto the ship.

My impression was that there were not enough 'wheelchair pushers' at the port to assist the number of passengers requiring their help - hence the hour wait. Those people are not Princess employees. I tipped both the port personnel who took me through security and check-in, and the Princess employees who wheeled me onto the ship and to my cabin.

One note about disembarkation - although the rental company says to leave the scooter in the cabin, I have never done that, and have never had an issue. I go to the designated meeting place for those who require wheelchair assistance and leave the scooter there. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the description, Catwoman.

I have a question about the drop off. We will be arriving by some sort of paid conveyance--most likely taxi or Uber. How far is it from the HA assist drop off spot to the luggage drop off? Translation, should I get out with my family member at the HA assist spot and leave her there while I take the luggage to that drop spot or should I have the transportation make two stops? I can wheel the luggage easily; I travel with just a carry on so that I can assist with her needs as necessary.

The last 2 cruises we've taken have been just after my wife had knee replacement surgery. I had contacted Princess and they didn't seem to have much info on the process so we just figured it out ourselves the first time.

Just go to the right hand corner or the terminal and find the guy with the clipboard. Last year we had to wait about 30 minutes. This year, there was no wait at all.

The guys doing the pushing all seem really nice and are very friendly and helpful. Our guy this year, Larry, was a real character! He as razzing me about one thing or another. He took care of our paperwork and whisked us through. We arrived at the terminal at about 10:30 and were on board by 11:15.