Pulling together a formal outfit and I want suggestions...Please.

crucero-amante

For my upcoming cruise I am pulling together a formal outfit and need some suggestions on what to do for a wrap.

My dress is an ivory/creme color; it has a halter style top with the empire waist because of the halter, it is pretty much backless and is pretty much floor length. The dress is a silk satin material.

So far I'm wearing bronze kitten heel thongs, my clutch is beaded with colors of bronze, a subtle orange, a suttle lime green and ivory. My jewelry so far; a subtle orange color stone ring (for the right hand) and earrings with the same orange but with clear crystal as well, they dangle about a 1/2". I don't have a necklace chosen nor do I have a wrap chosen and I want some ideas.

For the wrap I thought about tulle in ivory/creme; because that would be easy to do and it wouldn't take over the dress but not positive on that so please help out.

Thank you, J. I don't have a picture of the dress because I can't figure out how to shrink the image to fit.

I would definitely do an ivory or cream wrap, I think the style you are thinking about would be great.

With it being a halter style, I am thinking no necklace. I know your earrings only dangle 1/2 ", but are they a wider style where a necklace would take away from the earrings, or are they more understated and petite where you would want a necklace?

Hard to judge without pic though.

I would definitely do an ivory or cream wrap, I think the style you are thinking about would be great.

With it being a halter style, I am thinking no necklace. I know your earrings only dangle 1/2 ", but are they a wider style where a necklace would take away from the earrings, or are they more understated and petite where you would want a necklace?

Hard to judge without pic though.

Earrings, a necklace and a halter top are way too busy.

I agree with Blue Herons. A creme colored tulle wrap could look very pretty or a white/creme fur shrug could also look good.

Also agree that necklace might be too much. Might be just too busy looking. Depends on how much skin is showing, how much cleavage you have, etc etc.

I have pretty much decided that I want to go with an ivory/creme/winter white/off white colored wrap or shrug. But I have two questions.

Would a shrug look okay (from the back) if there was a gap between the shrug and the dress? And since my dress is more of a creamy creme would white work? I thought about the tulle because it is almost see through so any color difference wouldn't be as noticiable.

I do have a leopard silk/cashmere wrap I bought through Bloomies that has off white/creme in the print and the colors are more along the brown tones so my bronze strappy thongs would work but then I'd need to figure out what evening bag. Yikes fashion is so much fun.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for helping me figure things out.

J~

Hard for me to answer the "skin gap" question. I think it depends on how it looks once it's on. To be honest, it's going to make that part of your showing skin a real focal point, so if your back's a bit flabby, the bare skin between shrug and dress will draw everyone's eye right to that spot. So, a 3 way mirror and/or a friend with a good eye would be the best judge of that.

However, tulle is usually quite wide, so if you go w/ the tulle, that shouldn't even be an issue.

I'd stay away from white and stick w/ creme or ivory. Or you could go w/ something in the gold or bronze tones that would work w/ your bronze sandals. Then you could use an evening bag in creme or bronze.

However, I think that a leopard print cashmere, though maybe very pretty is too daytime casual for your evening dress. (unless I'm just not picturing it right and it is dressy)

Jane

Good thing my back is not flabby. I had when that happens.

The wrap is http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=58967&CategoryID=1705

What do you think?

I could look for ivory velvet.;) That wouldn't over power the look at all.:rolleyes:

I really appreciate you working with me on this because I really wanted to wear something other than black for a change. I have plenty of black options.

j~

Crucero,

I like the wrap, however, it's going to dress down your outift and make it look less formal, IMHO. I still like the idea of ivory tulle....or perhaps ivory silk jacquard. That would be very elegant.

Like you, I'm lucky and have no flab on my back. My back is very smooth and muscled - wish my legs were as muscled as my back! LOL!

Jane

Okay,

Now first, let me say... Don't laugh!

I have been looking like crazy for a long ivory or white shawl to hide some of my big belly with my formals.

I've looked high and wide. I've shopped the internet.

BTW, Everybody has JUST what I want... In BLACK.

Well, I was in - I think TJ Maxx the other day- I'm meandering along, looking for several things, and I wandered towards the housewares department (everything was kinda jumbled up with the after Christmas sales) All of the sudden, hanging from a hanger on a rack in front of me, I see exactly what I have been looking for! In the perfect color! It is plenty long, in a luxurious chenille-with a suede lining! The only problem? It is a throw! Something to put over your couch, not over your shoulders!

Well, for 25 dollars, I hemmed and hawed... And bought it anyway! (There was also a luxurious faux fur leopard print I think it was- That one was only $20) It measures 50x60. You could wear it as a cape, or cut it in half, sew up the seam and make a wrap! Make TWO wraps! In case you spill spaghetti sauce on one! Or use the other half to clean up spilled spaghetti sauce! For that price, you can't go wrong, especially if you can do a little sewing! (and I am NOT handy with sewing!) Heck, you can't BUY rich chenille (about a yard and a half at 60 inchees wide) for that price! Never mind with suede backing!

Just throwing my 2 cents worth (or 25 dollars worth) in here. Heck, I bet one might even find some interesting "fashions" in the curtain aisle! Just don't close your eyes and your mind to the possibilities!

Archived