Skyline Hotel New York

Copper Lanterns

My husband and I are going on the Dawn on Feb 2, 2006. We have booked a room at the Skyline Hotel about 3 blocks from the terminal, for the night before. The price was reasonable. If anyone has stayed here before I would appreciate your opinion of the Hotel and the safty of the area. Thanks in advance.

What is the rate?

Winter is low-season in NYC and there is no need to be so close to the terminal as just about any place in midtown will likley be a $10 or less cab ride.

There are better areas to stay in than 49th St and 10th Ave... have you thought about trying Priceline?

CopperLanterns,

49th Street and 10th Ave is not an area I would recommend staying in. It's seedy and desolate at night, there's nothing around - no stores, no restaurants, no cafe's. The area has car dealerships, parking garages and light industry - all things that close up after dark. So it's a good area for street prostitutes and drug dealers. While NY has become quite safe, and I don't want to sound alarmist, it's not a good area for a tourist. I'm quite street smart and I wouldn't walk around that area at night.

Manhattan is pretty small, so when choosing a pre-cruise hotel I would advise you not to concern yourself with being near the cruise port. I mean, you're going to take a taxi to the pier anyway, so does it really matter if the cost is $5.00 - $8.00 more because you might be on the east side?

I'd keep looking for another hotel in a better area.

Jane

I see the Eastgate available for $148/nite (about $10 cheaper than their own website). This hotel is on the east side (while the pier is on the west side) but the cab ride should only be about $10 and the reviews of the hotel are very good.

That is the best hotel i see that is closest to the price you currently have at the Skyline. I would use the above as a benchmark and see if you can do better with Priceline for a 4* property. If not, i'd have no problem spending a nite at the Eastgate.

I live 2 blocks from the Eastgate. Though I can't comment on the hotel itself, I can tell you that the neighborhood is good.

I can't suggest other hotels as I know you're shopping by price. My suggestion would be to list some hotels you find in your search that are in your price range, post the addresses here and I can comment on the neighborhood.

Jane

The $148/nite rate i referenced above is thru EasyClickTravel and is cancellable up until 3 days before your check-in date. I would book it while you continue to search, otherwise the rate could sell-out (as EasyClickTravel only get a certain number of rooms at that rate)... so reserving it can't hurt, but it could help.

It is listed as an "Off the Record" deal (meaning they don't show you the name until after purchase), but if you do a google search for 'easyclicktravel' you'll find a few sites that can help identify it for you.:)

Yes, if Eastgate is Affinia, I would stick with it. I had a client who worked for them, and they are a small hotel group, but definitely high class, and I totally agree about not staying on 10th Avenue. Think about it this way, and I know some people will not agree, but you are spending quite a bit on the cruise, so what's another $20 for extra cost of hotel and cab to have a better first night. I wouldn't want to start off a cruise with a bad first night.

Archived