Tuscany Pre Cruise Extension--Iconic Med Cruise

Benchbaseball

My wife and I have booked the Pre Cruise Excursion to Tuscany before our April 14, 2018 cruise of the Mediterranean. We are trying to find out when we will arrive from Tuscany to Civitavicchia so that we can determine if we have time to book an excursion to Rome. Has anyone taken this pre cruise extension or does anyone know when the trip will leave Florence or alternatively, what time we will arrive in Civitavicchia? I have contacted Viking but they do not seem to have the answer.

Thank you,

Keith

My wife and I have booked the Pre Cruise Excursion to Tuscany before our April 14, 2018 cruise of the Mediterranean. We are trying to find out when we will arrive from Tuscany to Civitavicchia so that we can determine if we have time to book an excursion to Rome. Has anyone taken this pre cruise extension or does anyone know when the trip will leave Florence or alternatively, what time we will arrive in Civitavicchia? I have contacted Viking but they do not seem to have the answer.

Thank you,

Keith

If you don't get an answer here in a day or two, contact Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com, even if you have used a different phone number or e-mail to contact Viking. The people who answer this e-mail address seem to have more of interest in answering questions than do other departments.

In the meantime, consider the following: the bus ride from Florence to Civitavecchia is around three hours and possibly less since you are staying in a villa/hotel somewhere south of Florence and north of Siena (not including possible bathroom stop). I'm guessing but Viking is probably aiming to get you there no earlier than 11 am (when boarding begins) but perhaps later. Civitavecchia is at least an hour by train to Rome (or by car if you are having a driver pick you up in Civitavecchia). If you arrive in Civitavecchia by 11 am, you can figure on arriving in Rome by 1pm, between checking in, dealing with your luggage and then getting out of the port complex and into Rome, it could take as long as 2 hours.

Before you head into to Rome, you also need to know what time you have to be back on board. The safety drill will be held before you depart Civitavecchia that day and there is a good chance that they will want to schedule that drill before dinner service begins at 6pm, regardless of what your actual departure time (and I know you are hoping I am wrong about this but as the Romans were fond of saying, forewarned is forearmed).