New muster

antsp

It is on the Diamond Princess.

I think it is a major step backwards as it treats safety as a joke and people will ignore the safety message. The new theme is cringeworthy, cheap, tacky and something you shake your head at.

I just tuned out and ignored all the BS spun from the announcement and found it useless and irrelevant. Thankfully I have had survival training in the Navy so my safety on the ship was never in doubt if we had to muster.

There are some things you can joke about and take lightheartedly but there are other things you cannot.

This new announcement is extremely dangerous and poses a safety risk because it will turn people off, they will tune out and they will ignore the message because of its tackiness. It does not cater to all demographics and personal tastes and the safety message will not sink in. I note they still make the "no flash photography" announcements before shows in a serious and factual manner yet the more important safety drill announcement has turned into a total nonsensical joke.

For someone like myself who would tune out and ignore such BS like the new safety announcement with the love boat theme and tacky song it is dangerous because the safety message will not get through.

I have seen it on airlines and feel the same way about them doing it in such a manner. That also is dangerous because when you are catering to international clients whose native language may not be English then it is going to be more difficult for the safety message to sink in when the message is not addressed in a clear and concise manner for all groups of people to understand.

I could even go further and say even the people with mild mental/intellectual issues like autism would not even understand the message delivered in such a way. The joke/humour type announcements do not deliver the message to the entire cross section of society and that is what makes it dangerous.

Well said. My sentiments exactly while on the Royal last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking, what are the chances of those kind of PAXs using wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and walkers survive or will make it off a cruise ship if there is a catastrophic event? Not many. Fire, collision with another ship, ship sinking, act of terrorism.

Actually, I think a lot of that answer would depend on the actions of the Captain. A ship doesn't sink instantly, even after catastrophic damage. The captain walks a fine line between not upsetting passengers and waiting too long to do anything.

The Disney Magic had a "thermal anomaly" (that's DCL speak for a fire in a smokestack). When it couldn't be extinguished within a few minutes, the captain ordered everyone to assemble at muster stations with life vests to be counted, logged in, and readied for evacuation if necessary. This action was taken at 4:30 am, so there were a lot of grumpy people hauled out of their beds. Fortunately the fire was extinguished and the passengers were able to return to their beds...but the point was that the decision was made in a very timely fashion. This could perhaps be contrasted with the Costa Concordia where no action was taken for a significant period of time after the damage to the ship.

Yes, there are people who will require extra time and perhaps assistance. If the decisions are made early enough, those people can receive the assistance they need.

Actually' date=' I think a lot of that answer would depend on the actions of the Captain. A ship doesn't sink instantly, even after catastrophic damage. The captain walks a fine line between not upsetting passengers and waiting too long to do anything.

The Disney Magic had a "thermal anomaly" (that's DCL speak for a fire in a smokestack). When it couldn't be extinguished within a few minutes, the captain ordered everyone to assemble at muster stations with life vests to be counted, logged in, and readied for evacuation if necessary. This action was taken at 4:30 am, so there were a lot of grumpy people hauled out of their beds. Fortunately the fire was extinguished and the passengers were able to return to their beds...but the point was that the decision was made in a very timely fashion. This could perhaps be contrasted with the Costa Concordia where no action was taken for a significant period of time after the damage to the ship.

Yes, there are people who will require extra time and perhaps assistance. If the decisions are made early enough, those people can receive the assistance they need.[/quote']

The cynical say the difference is whether the captain feels his first duty is to

the passengers, the company, or himself (in decreasing order of honor).