RCCL/Celebrity

flowy

I've been a very loyal Celebrity fan, but wanted to try RCCL for our next cruise. We are looking for a more varied rather than set dinner arrangements. I also understand some fares allow for conceirge amenities. Wondering what that might be. Also interested in the differences between the two lines.

Our favorite ship was the Summit -- large, lots of features. Recently on Mercury and did not like size of ship or amenities. Staff was wonderful!

Any suggestions, advice?

We love to cruise in December.....

Fran

I've been a very loyal Celebrity fan, but wanted to try RCCL for our next cruise. We are looking for a more varied rather than set dinner arrangements. I also understand some fares allow for conceirge amenities. Wondering what that might be. Also interested in the differences between the two lines.

Our favorite ship was the Summit -- large, lots of features. Recently on Mercury and did not like size of ship or amenities. Staff was wonderful!

Any suggestions, advice?

We love to cruise in December.....

Fran

In an effort to be fair, other posters have stated that the 5 night Voyager cruise we took in November is not a good representation of what to expect on RCCL. The feeling was that a longer cruise on a Radiance class ship is a better comparison.

That being said, we only have the one cruise for comparison. We did not enjoy the RCCL experience (the ship, mostly indifferent service, a bed so bad that it defied description, etc.) and will not cruise with them again.

Fran- I really cannot comment on Celebrity since I have never been on them, but I have been on RCI for 16 wonderful cruises (I have been on 40+ overall). I have had excellent service 99% of the time. I have considered Celebrity, but I am relatively young and active. I love the rock climbing and all the other activities. I understand that Celebrity is a great line, but I don't know that it matches my ideal vacation activities. So, it is hard to answer your question without knowing what it is you want out of a cruise. If you are looking for a more refined cruise, stick with Celebrity.

If you like large ships, try a Voyager class. My favorite is the Mariner. Radiance is beautiful but does not have the ice skating rink, roller blade rink, etc.

To get Concierge priveliges, you must book a Grand Suite or above. A junior suite will not qualify for concierge class. I'm sure you know that you will qualify for the same privileges on RCI as Celebrity.

As for the varied restaurants, the Voyager class has Portofinos and Chops (since I'm not classifying Johnny Rockets as a restaurant experience). I can say that Chops is AMAZING. I have heard that the murder mystery dinner at Portofinos is great too. Italian is just not my favorite food, so I haven't been there. There was also a sushi bar.

I am leaving for my 17th cruise in 2 weeks and already have another booked for October (both with RCI). I will book another for the summer while on board the Grandeur in a couple of weeks. Obviously, I have no trouble recommending a cruise on RCI. I hope this has helped a little.

Just wondering if you had any experience with the special concierage bar area? Also wondering what classification of cabin I might have to book. Is there an additional charge for Chops? We don't mind the extra charge for a special evening, just wondering....

I can answer your questions concerning the concierge. You have to book a Grand suite, Owners suite or Royal suite if you are not Diamond or above. Not all ships have concierge available.

If you liked the Summit then I would look into one of the Radiance class ships as they are built on the same platform that the Summit was built.

There is a charge for Chops and Portofino. I believe that the charge is $20.00 or $25.00.

I have to agree with Boos Mom. Celebrity is more refined. We have enjoyed both cruise lines, and each offers certain features. We only cruise in suites, and the Royal Suite on Celebrity comes with a butler. We also book an Owner Suite on RCCl, so the space is very comparable.

For whatever reason, we always seem to have excellent service on RCCL without the butler. This includes dinner for 4 in our cabin, and cocktail parties for a large gathering.

However, it is far easier to have arraigned luncheons in our cabin, cocktail parties, dinners etc on Celebrity with a butler. We pay about 25 percent more to cruise in the same amount of cabin space on Celebrity. Is it worth it.............It's our vacation!!

Rick

The service is more refined and upscale on Celebrity but I wouldn't call it ten times better, just different. The Summit and the 4 Radiance class ships are built on the same hull so cabins are similar in size. We have been on both types recently (Serenade in Dec 04, Connie in Nov 05) and feel that while the M types are attractive in a restrained, classic way they don't compare to the Radiance class in overall design.

Since you have cruised Celebrity you know that they emphasize food and service. The dining room experience on Celebrity is more upscale than RCI and there are no gloved waiters to carry your food tray in the buffet of RCI. BUT the buffet area on RCI is laid out much better with a dozen food islands rather than the cafeteria lines found on Celebrity (cafeteria lines are a pet peeve with us). And because of the large cantilever of the RCI buffet deck the area is much more spacious and not as cramped as more traditional ships such as Celebrity with their small cantilever. The food will be similar in the two lines in the buffet with the exception of an occasional hot speciality item on Celebrity. Smoked salmon (lox), bacon, fruit cup, yoghurt, etc. are usually the same since they are provisioned from the same source (watch the two lines being resupplied from the same truck when they dock together, such as in San Juan.)

The Solarium pool on RCI is light years ahead of the Aqua-Spa on Celebrity when it comes to design and utility. The whole roof is glass and slides open on nice days wheras on the Connie the small part in the middle was fixed glass and the rest had a 12 foot ceiling; all the charm of a hospital corridor with the yellow green paint job. Check out the photos members have posted.

The M types have a 3 deck foyer with the big staircase (on Connie at least) while RCI has a dramatic 10 deck high Centrum (atrium) with glass elevators facing the interior and another set of glass elevators facing the sea behind a wall of sheer glass; much better the the M types where the sea facing elevators are recessed in the ships body and are blocked by exterior supports, lifeboats, etc.

The only really dramatic stying highlight on the Connie was the lighting by the elevator banks, exotic purple blend.

I usually wander the ship after midnight with my camera and found that I took far more pics of design features on the RCI Radiance and Eagle types than the Celebrity M and C types.

If shipboard activities are important to you than RCI will be better. If you want a quieter experience than stick to Celebrity. We are both 55+ and think like younger people which is why our 31 yr old son will not cruise with us. Think Love and Marriage and the Quest.:D

Archived