snorkling in dominica???

nightworker

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Destiny, and did the Champagne snorkle. LOTS of fish, many different varieties. THere are bubbles coming from the rocks/coral in the sea. You snorkle for about 1 hour. Dive Dominica has the contract; they give you a floatation device which makes it e-zier for you to float and look at the fish. More variety here than in Aruba, and Aruba had alot!!! Bring bananas to feed the fish--they eat it!! Hope this helps you...The only thing I didn't like about it was that it left at 2:15 in the afternoon. It's not too far from the ship, and Pirates of the Carib. was filmed around there...

We were in Dominica on Christmas Day and ohhhh what a treat it was. Not just because it was Christmas Day but because Dominica was, personally, my favourite island. It's the most tropical and lush of all the islands we were on for the cruise. Just beautiful.

Anyway, in the morning we did a Trafalgar Falls and TiTou Gorge Excursion through Ken's Hinterland Tours (http://www.kenshinterlandtours.com/). They were great and it was only $35 each for 5 of us. We had a wonderful guide and the two sites were, well, a sight to behold. For the brave at the falls, you can climb over rocks and swim under the falls. At TiTou, you swim through a cavern of water to another falls. It's an amazing spot.

We got back to the ship at about 12:30 pm and then hailed a taxi over to Champagne Beach for snorkeling. It was only $15 round trip each to get there and then a $2 park fee each to enter the beach. If you have time to do your tubing in the morning and the beach in the afternoon, I'd say just get your own taxi. The beach is maybe 20 minutes away and your taxi driver will arrange a time to pick you back up. I'm guessing the ships Champagne Beach excursion will be far more than $17 each.

One word of warning. By beach, I actually mean rocky shore. There is no sand, just small to medium sized rocks stretching along the shore that must be navigated to the snorkeling/reef. If you have water shoes, bring them. The snorkeling is very cool though with the added bonus of the bubbles rising from the ocean floor.

I guess your excursion would take you there by boat or catamaran? That'd be cool though for us we had 3 other catamaran excursions planned for this cruise so we were happy to save some money and just taxi it.

I'm afraid there's nothing there except the entrance to access the beach, the guy taking the entrance fee and a gaggle of taxi drivers hanging out, dropping off or picking up.

There are no vendors, or drinks, or chairs. Nada!

Just the rocky beach, lots of fish, coral, champagne bubbles and some small lizards in the underbrush ;o)

Archived