Cozumel beaches

I can't answer your question cuz I haven't gone on a cruise recently (or at all for that matter....) but I can tell you that there is a wealth of info on the Coz boards... you should check it out.... under port of call. Also, when in early Feb. are you going? I am on the 1/29 sailing of Explorer, if you are on our sailing, you should check out our roll call thread! We'd love to "meet" ya!

we were in Coz on Dec 16th on the Radiance. It is pretty devistated as much as I would like to say it isn't.

The one thing I would not recommend is a beach day. The beaches were damaged the most. Chakanaab (sp?) is gone. Paradise beach did not do too well either.

We did get out and did a dive with Eagle Ray Divers. There are many reports about them on the Scuba and Snorkeling board. Chellie and Antonio are great hosts. I would recommend the dives for sure. Even though the coral was a bit beat up compared to last year the fabulous animals, creatures and caves are still fantastic!

They can set up a combo trip where your husband can dive and you can snorkel so you can still spend the day together.

Other people on the cruise enjoyed the ruins at Tulum and XelHa. But that is all I can tell you.

Hope this helps

We have always gone to Chankanaab at Cozumel, but last time (Dec) we went to Paradise Beach, based on some good reviews on these boards and also from a desire to try something new. What a mistake! The beach water was FILTHY (of course, wind etc can affect that, but no other islands seemed to be similarly afflicted), they charged us $16 just to enter (when actually it's free to enter, the extra charge is for the trampolines); the guy told us it was $8 apiece, but we'd get it back if we ordered $16 worth of food or drink. Then he reneged! It was also a further (more expensive) taxi ride from the pier. Really ended up being a yucky day.

Anyway, my recommendation is for Chankanaab. There is a set fee to enter, which includes all facilities, including a fantastic coral reef staircase into the water (so there are zillions of fish within steps of land), a really nice open air restaurant. etc.

I tried something new, but next time I'm right back to good old Chankanaab!

Travelgirl-Chankanaab was destroyed by Wilma, though they are working to reopen the park possibly by mid-February. However, I wouldn't plan on going there when it first re-opens. I saw pictures of the area after Wilma and there was absolutely NOTHING there except jungle. It's going to take some time for this park to be as lovely as it once was. Funny, I didn't much care for Paradise Beach either a couple of years ago. We experienced muddy water and lots of rocks! The beach was nice, if crowded, but I go to Coz for the water!! We have a favorite beach club located in the north hotel zone. Never again for PB! Anyway for the OP, I agree that your best bet in Coz right now is a dive/snorkel trip.

How sad to hear that Chakanaab was decimated by Wilma...it's a special place and was my favorite onshore spot when we cruised the Western in 2004. We spent more time in the water than on the beach and the snorkeling was like swimming in a huge well stocked aquarium.

Archived