Aft Cabin on Legend - Good Choice?

picktowncruzr

Just booked an aft cabin on the Legend for the 2/12/07 Southern Caribbean. Never stayed in an aft cabin but liked the thought of an extended balcony. Since we booked so early, getting one wasn't a problem. Anyone ever stayed in one before? Would you do it again? Are there lounge chairs or still just the standard balcony chairs?

Just booked an aft cabin on the Legend for the 2/12/07 Southern Caribbean. Never stayed in an aft cabin but liked the thought of an extended balcony. Since we booked so early, getting one wasn't a problem. Anyone ever stayed in one before? Would you do it again? Are there lounge chairs or still just the standard balcony chairs?

I was on the Pride in May 2004 in an aft corner cabin (cat 11). I loved it, so I booked an aft cabin on the Glory (cat 8B). I don't know what chairs there are on a normal extended balcony. The corner balconies have a lot of room, so there are lounge chairs.

So, not only would I do it again - I did.

Just a category 8C - - extended balcony. Any chance you can get sun on your aft balcony or does it pretty much stay shaded like the normal side balconies?

Here is a link to a photo of the back of a Spirit class ship (in this case it is the Pride). Note how the rear balconies stick out further than the roof above the balcony. Thus the rear balconies will get more sun when the ship is north bound, and less sun when the ship is south bound ...

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=72127

8C? What deck is that?

On the Miracle we had an aft on the Empress deck. Its a lot of sun. We needed to close the curtains during the day to keep the cabin cool.

Other decks have a lof of shade because of the overhang-- (I think thats deck 4. cabins on the deck 5 and a tad smaller...not by much-- because of the larger hallway. (this is where the laundry room is too.

Wow, thanks for the links and all the help! Yes, we are on the upper, cabin 5268. Sure wish it was the suite next door -- oh well, maybe next time! Did you notice any more movement or noise from the engines being on the back of the ship? When I booked she warned me that some people tend to find that the aft cabins make them a little more seasick. We've never had a problem with that so she thought we'd be fine.

Just for your info, we sailed on the Legend last January 6 ( 2005) - did the southern Caribbean route, and had an aft extended balcony. We absolutely LOVED it, but yes, there is definately more motion back there! I'd been on 2 previous cruises - balcony rooms on the side - always felt motion but never even the slightest hint of any sea sickness. 2nd day out on the Legend (formal night!), about 12 noon I developed sea sickness for the very 1st time. I immediately started on the Bonine, and was fine for the rest of the cruise. (Didn't even miss formal night!) Would I do it again??? You betcha - once an aft balcony, always an aft balcony!

Wow, thanks for the links and all the help! Yes, we are on the upper, cabin 5268. Sure wish it was the suite next door -- oh well, maybe next time! Did you notice any more movement or noise from the engines being on the back of the ship? When I booked she warned me that some people tend to find that the aft cabins make them a little more seasick. We've never had a problem with that so she thought we'd be fine.

I cannot help you with the suite next door. But if you will settle for four out of five, you can have the suit next door. ;) I had the after corner suite on the Pride in May 2004 (I was on deck six). I loved it. So I booked an aft balcony cabin (not a suite) on the Glory for April. It is hard to say if there was any more movement, though there should be. The front and back of the ship pitch (move up and down) more then the middle of the ship. I was on a mid ship balcony on the Norwegian Star in Oct 2005. I felt a little less movement on the Star, but perhaps the seas were calmer. I should add I only felt the movement on the Pride on the last sea day, when the Pride was moving at full speed to make it back to Los Angeles on time. Other than the last day, the ride was very smooth.

You should not hear any more noise however. 1) The engines that make noise (the ones consuming the fuel) are mid ship, not at the back end of the ship. 2) The engines that drive the propellers are electric and under water. You should not hear them at all.

We were on the Miracle cabin 6264 center/aft this past April.. loved the cabin and the balcony, tho' the extended part of the balcony has a glass/plexiglass shield slanted in from bottom to top, which basically takes up the extra usuable space at the forward part of the balcony.. good for stretching ones legs tho'... We had two chairs and a small table.. A lounge chair may fit, but it would be tight! ;)

We would definitely book the cabin again on a Spirit class ship, tho' we were able to get a 9A corner/aft on the Liberty for our cruise in April 2007.. much more room, balcony wise! :p

One must remember when considering 'noise'... Being a ship with propellers, it is inheirent that a little vibration/noise will be noticed at certain times. When docking, going into ports or maneuvering and also if the props cavitate due to air-pockets or direction changes.

I enjoy the sounds, 'course I am used to them as we own a powerboat on Lake Erie.. Come on Summer..:D

Okay - - so should I upgrade to a higher deck? Right now it's very cheap ($40) for each deck I go up. Don't want to waste the money if it isn't worth it - - but am willing to sepnd it if it is. My concern is whether or not people above me will be able to look down on my balcony. The way the ship is structure it looks like that could happen. Don't get me wrong - - I'm a very social person - - but sometimes privacy is nice on the balcony;) .

Okay - - so should I upgrade to a higher deck? Right now it's very cheap ($40) for each deck I go up. Don't want to waste the money if it isn't worth it - - but am willing to sepnd it if it is. My concern is whether or not people above me will be able to look down on my balcony. The way the ship is structure it looks like that could happen. Don't get me wrong - - I'm a very social person - - but sometimes privacy is nice on the balcony;) .

Moving up will not change anything. Look at the picture in the link below ...

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=72127

The bottom deck in the picture is four. The top deck is nine. There are no cabins on deck nine. So, the people on deck five can look down on deck four. The people on deck six can look down on deck five ... The people on deck nine (a public deck) and look down on deck eight (the highest deck with cabins). If you are on the aft, you can either sit back by the cabin wall and not be seen, or stand out by the rail and be seen.

Here is another photo of the rear balcony. This is a cat 11 balcony. However, the cat 8 rear balocnies look the same from the cabin wall to the railing. The only difference is the cat 11 balcony is much wider (between the balcony dividers). This photo is looking at the balcony divider between the pictured balcony and the cat 8 balcony next door ...

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=72091

As you can see, sit near the cabin wall and no one can look down on you. Stand out by the rail and people can look down on you. But this is true no matter how high you go on the aft facing balconies.

DW and I were in 5268 (Yes, the exact cabin!) on a So. Caribbean route on the Legend, scheduled for 10/24/05. However, due to Hurricane Wilma, it was delayed two days and turned into a 6 day, Eastern Caribbean route (still got to go to St. Martin, though, which was very nice). I have a few pictures (and an avi movie or two) of the cabin I can post on my website...I'll try to get that done and post the link back here when I do. Don't look for it for a few days or so.

I highly recommend that cabin 5268, although the suite next door looked very SWEET, too! Our room steward let us take a peek at it, since the ship was only about half full (due to the two day delay). In hindsight, I bet a little bit of encouragement at the purser's desk could have gotten us an upgrade to that suite, but the steward didn't show it to us until the 2nd to the last night! Arrrgh! Oh well...

We propped the door open at night to let the sounds of the ocean come in and it drowned out any other noise we might have heard otherwise. I have heard that propping open the door turns off the A/C, but the nights we did that, we didn't notice it being humid nor hot.

Yes, others can look down upon you, and you can pretty easily look around the divider (if you so desire) and see the balconies on both sides, so if you are too worried about privacy, just get a hotel room the night before/after the cruise and have complete privacy. At 2am, the balconies seemed to be pretty deserted anyways ;-)

Just standing at the balcony, looking at the ocean going past you, and not having a care in the world (at *that* moment) is an experience that is indescribable. It is something that has to be experienced.

GP

P.S. I am prone to motion sickness (theme park rides, airplanes, but not in the car (just as reference points)), so I, too, was concerned about booking the aft cabin, due to what I had read on this board. However, I only once felt sick, and that is when we ran into 50mph winds and the ship was definitely rocking. People were literally running out of the late seating dinner, and it didn't much matter where you were on the ship at that point. If you were prone to getting sick...you DID.

I don't attribute that to being in the aft cabin. I attribute that to being in 50mph winds. At all other times on the ship, I never once even felt queasy.

Go for the aft cabin...it is AWESOME.

Super! Now I'm really excited and can't wait to see your pictures/video when you get it posted. If easier, feel free to send it to me directly (although others may be interested) at picktownmom@aol.com. I'm definitely sticking with 5268, unless of course the room steward informs me that the neighboring suite is available - - I will make sure to ask early in the cruise!! :)

You are welcome Grampy. Glad I can finally give something back to the CC community. I have taken sooooo much...

I am so jealous you're going next week!!!

Have fun.

GP

I feel the same way. We wouldn't have this great cabin without the help of so many people on this board. I plan on knocking off a Miami Vice for each of you.:D

Archived