A Question for TA's - regarding block group space

SanFranBayCruiser

I'm working with a TA I've used for years and have no intention of switching but, I do have a general question I don't want to bother her with...

At this time we are holding space on a Princess ship and a Celebrity ship for Christmas/New Years 2006. I was told and confirmed it for myself that the inventory was very low for the two ships we are considering (Galaxy and Sea Princess). My TA told me that lots of agencies grab space on cruises they believe will be popular and these agencies hold inventory with the hope they will sell the cabins they have blocked. This isn't the first time we've sailed during the holidays but, this is the first time I've seen inventory this low, this early out. One time we waited until late summer and still had an excellent selection of cabins.

My question is how long can you hold or block group space before it returns to regular inventory. The reason I ask is that my brother's cabin needs to be a triple and we're already waitlisted on Sea Princess for the balcony cabin he'd prefer (he has a confirmed outside). Also what are the chances he'll clear the waitlist?

It's just frustrating to be waitlisted for a triple this early. Anyone care to share thoughts or suggestions?

Princess and Celebrity handle group bookings differently, so there is no rule related to Celebrity you can use. What I can tell you is that Princess (poor customer service and all) has a high rate of group space being released so you should not have a problem in the end.

Celebrity allows space to be blocked for a specific length of time and then it reviews the space and releases 50% of the unsold blocked space which is not deposited; and then it releases the remainder of the space after that. The intent is to allow the TAs to reserve space, but to also get inventory back into the system earlier rather than at the last minute.

BTW, your TA holding space on both cruises for you is typical of why there is no present inventory. Image the effect for the cruiselines and innocent passengers wanting to book cruises when a number of TAs do this sort of inappropriate thing.

All in all, you will probably find some good space on both ships in a couple of months. Hopefully your TA will release the "other" group booking sooner than later so the cabins are available to passengers that really want to take that cruise.

Those of us who have blocks for Summit's Xmas sailing in 06 have had two month extensions over our 150 days we've been allowed to hold the space.

If Celebrity takes back the space, it will be around Jan 17th.

As for Princess, if they really needed the inventory, they would recall all undeposited space.

The Sea Princess 14 day sailings this fall were sold out several months in advance. The more popular weeks were sold out 5-6 months in advance. These sailings are marketing heavily in the UK and usually have 50% plus of their passengers from the UK. If interested in the Sea Princess, I would probably book this sooner as opposed to later.

As far as "Princess and their poor customer service" mentioned by "Iamboatman" - just an FYI, Princess usually ranks higher than Celebrity in surveys of Travel Agents on cruise lines that are easiest/best to work with.

Maybe Celebrity clients who then sail on Princess are taken back by the "different" level of service? Maybe there are areas in the country where inside reps can do more than others? Maybe the surveys (which I haven't seen) are not that accurate?

What I do know is that neither I nor any other TA I know has anything positive to say about Princess customer service. In fact, when Princess/Cunard had their corporate reshuffling, many good reps left Princess; which speaks volumes. I also do not have a more than a small handful of clients that have anything positive to say about Princess's customer service either landbased or on the ship. I am not anti-Princess, I am just stating what in fact (not in survey) my experience has been.

Archived