Rail strike: London to Southampton 7/28

Just arrived in London to find that our planned rail service to Southampton this coming Saturday is probably a no go due to a rail strike. So.... any one have any suggestions? Please! Stressing out here....we are in Southwark. Much appreciated.....carl

I'd cut my losses and go for National Express from Victoria Coach station (not the rail station) to Southampton Coach station. Grab a black cab to the coach station. Currently about £14ea and a 2hr 15 min trip. Check https://www.nationalexpress.com/en , but if you are going to do this, book it NOW, 'cos they will sell out quickly on Friday and Saturday.

Contact South West trains about a refund on your train tickets.

Simon

Just arrived in London to find that our planned rail service to Southampton this coming Saturday is probably a no go due to a rail strike. So.... any one have any suggestions? Please! Stressing out here....we are in Southwark. Much appreciated.....carl

Is it just south western

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a guesstimate, maybe 75% of threatened rail strikes do not actually happen.

True - and about half the trains will be running through the strike, and probably more on mainline services such as yours. But SE Trains reckon that on Saturday in particular demand for trains to the coast (eg Southampton & beyond to Bournemouth & Weymouth) will exceed supply assuming the strike goes ahead.

In the circumstances your ticket should be good for any train on that route - no need to stick to your ticketed time/s - so perhaps make an early start.

Can I suggest, if its not already too late, to book a bus on https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Do it now.

There are only a few buses that morning, but since it's a weekend hopefully plenty of folk will simply not bother to travel.

There's availability at all departure times as I type.

Cost is about £15 pp, so it's a good Plan B.

Book from London Victoria coach station to Southampton coach station. You'll need a bus that gets there by about 1.30pm, then it's a short £6 to £10 taxi hop to your ship.

Victoria coach station is about 3 miles from Southwark / Waterloo & I guess a taxi will cost about £12 - but of course if you do catch the train your only loss would be the £15 pp bus fare.

A private transfer will cost about £130 - I don't know if it's possible to pre-book with free cancellation. Very much the last resort, but I don't think the strike will affect the availability of London transfer operators because train disruption from London to just one corner of the UK is unlikely to put pressure on availability.

Keep glued to the National Rail website http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

and to BBC News https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/hampshire

This is a manning dispute which has been going on now for a couple of years with short-term strikes every couple of months. Disgusting. :mad:

JB :)

Thanks to all for your replies...

Let's see...

Yes, just South West Rail near as I can tell...

National Express seems to be sold out. Gone, daddy, gone.

Silver Fleet is also fully booked.

Was able to booked a shared van via International Friends by way of London Toolkit... thanks smithop. They now have only one opening. One catch... they won't pick up at our hotel in Southwark due to road closures related to a cycling event on Saturday. We'll need to schlep our bags to the Marriott Grosvenor Square for pickup.

Now for that large beer....

National Express seems to be sold out. Gone, daddy, gone.

Now for that large beer....

Sure you used the website correctly?

Just checked again for the 9 am, right thro' to giving my details - no problem.

Sure you used the website correctly?

Just checked again for the 9 am, right thro' to giving my details - no problem.

I'm running on precious little sleep so I clearly managed to screw it up somehow. Plus this new phone. And beer.

Appreciate your checking it out