Port-Naples on the Epic- How to get to Sorrento.

Jenny142

I am on the cruise in August and wanted to know how busy the port in Naples will be to catch a hydrofoil/ferry to Sorrento and/or Amalfi, especially with over 4000 passengers on board. Would any one have suggestions for the following?

What would be the best way to get to either places?

If it's by boat, how can I purchase tickets so I know I have 4 seats available when I disembark the morning we arrive in Naples?

If by car/train, what would you suggest.

Thanks, Jenny

Ferry is by far the most comfortable way to do this.

For Naples to Sorrento you can purchase tickets in advance from the operator here: http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe

The first crossing is at 9 AM so you'd have plenty of time to buy the tickets the morning of, assuming you have a typical 7 AM arrival. The real rush for tickets is to Capri.

If you decide to go to the Amalfi Coast it's a multi-step process.

The fastest and most comfortable way would be the train (Trenitalia, not the Circumvesuviana) to Salerno followed by the ferry to Amalfi or Positano. The ferry dock at Concordia is an easy half mile walk from the train station.

To get to the train station in Naples you can jump on the metro at the Municipio stop across the street from the cruise port.

The first ferry of the day from Salerno to Amalfi or Positano departs at 8:40 AM. If you can make the 7:35 regional train from Napoli Centrale you would be in Salerno at 8:15 AM, plenty of time to make that first ferry.

https://www.travelmar.it/it/orari

Yes but your options are more limited.

There is only one morning ferry from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi, departing at 10:30 AM. Given that the ferry from Naples doesn't even arrive until 9:45 AM that doesn't leave you with much time in Sorrento. However, it might be enough for you.

The only other sailing, at 2:55 PM, is really too late for you.

If you do it this way I would continue on to Salerno and return by train from there, the reverse of my suggestion above. Going back via Sorrento simply takes too much time, the only realistic way to do this is "one way".

Yes but your options are more limited.

There is only one morning ferry from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi, departing at 10:30 AM. Given that the ferry from Naples doesn't even arrive until 9:45 AM that doesn't leave you with much time in Sorrento. However, it might be enough for you.

The only other sailing, at 2:55 PM, is really too late for you.

If you do it this way I would continue on to Salerno and return by train from there, the reverse of my suggestion above. Going back via Sorrento simply takes too much time, the only realistic way to do this is "one way".

Thank you again. I’ve been reading other people’s posts who have booked excursions ahead of time from other companies other than the cruise ship (Victor, etc). Lots to consider before deciding.

Yes, there are lots of options so it helps to know how you like to travel and be true to yourself.

For me one of the most frustrating things is to sit in traffic, under any situation, but especially when I know I'm paying $50/hour (or so) for the privilege. One option, if you decide to go with a car service, is to have them drop you off at the ferry in Sorrento for the ride back, that at least eliminates that last, lost hour (or 90 minutes, on some days) of sitting in traffic getting off the Sorrentine peninsula.

Yes, there are lots of options so it helps to know how you like to travel and be true to yourself.

For me one of the most frustrating things is to sit in traffic, under any situation, but especially when I know I'm paying $50/hour (or so) for the privilege. One option, if you decide to go with a car service, is to have them drop you off at the ferry in Sorrento for the ride back, that at least eliminates that last, lost hour (or 90 minutes, on some days) of sitting in traffic getting off the Sorrentine peninsula.

Yes, thank you! :) The last thing we want to do is sit in a car or on another boat and waste the day away.