Worried About Sea Sickness

sunflower1972

Mythbusters did a show not too long ago where they tested out seasickness remedies. They found that ginger pills worked, with no noticeable side effects. DH is such a fan of the show that it convinced him to try them out on our next cruise--he's the one in the family that is prone to seasickness. Dramamine helps but it means he spends most of the cruise unconscious. Bonine also works for him with less side effects but still some drowsiness. We're hoping ginger pills will be the magic bullet, but the Bonine is coming along with us just in case it doesn't work.

I've been sick many times. Being tossed in a 1000 Ton Minehunter. I think I would have to say I fully endorse the Patch. The good thing about being seasick is that you sleep really well.

I wouldn't worry too much though. The ships are huge, stabilized and you will be fine.

My doctor told me the best is the patch and I have been using them for the last three cruises. I don't use the whole patch. I cut one is half, then take a one of that halves and cut it in half again. I use 1/4 of a patch behind each ear. It works great and I have zero side effects. I always put them on the night before my cruise leaves. On the 5th day of my cruise I put a new set of patches on before I go to bed.

You didn't say where you were sailing or which ship... you may not need anything for seasickness. The larger the ship, smoother the water, the less need. If you are going somewhere bouncy like Arctic circle, Antarctica or Australia, start a couple days before and take it regularly.

Try eating small amounts of starchy foods freq, instead of large meals. If you are queasy, avoid greasy foods, rich foods and alcohol. I eat a white roll, or crackers at the first whitecaps and that's all I need. Take meds if this doesn't help, before you get very ill.

And remember, if you take systemic medicine (bonine, dramamine, etc) it might interact with other meds you take, including over the counter (check with a doctor, pharmacist or RN). And avoid excessive alcohol (even one drink if you are sensitive to it or small) while using it, alcohol is delicious but also a drug :p It has interaction precautions with all of the anti-emetic (nausea) drugs.

Most important, don't worry about it too much---the biggest mistake first timers make. Relax and enjoy!

P.S. I agree with Cruisin Chick on the candied ginger, it helps to suck on that and it tastes good! But Altoids, alas, have no real ginger in them at all....its all flavoring.

Target stocks ginger-flavored Altoids. Also you can try candied ginger. My grocery store stocks two different brands.

Where can I find candied ginger in the grocery store? (produce section or natural food section?) Thanks!

What are the side effects of the patch? I've always used them and never noticed any side effects

The pharmacist told me that it can make you dizzy and feel out of sorts....I dont have a high tolerance for drugs....so I didnt think it would be for me.

For the record, I had read somewhere that you can get Bonine here in Canada, however when I asked my Doctor about it, she didn't have a clue what I was talking about (neither did the pharmacist:rolleyes: )...

I have been searching for this as well and found them today at Shopper's Drug Mart. They weren't there 2 weeks ago. It's meclizine (25mg), made by Pfizer. For prevention and treatment of nausea, vomiting and dizziness associated with motion sickness...15 chewable tablets..take one or two a day, ONCE a day.

Soozaay, I found some candy ginger in the health food store, as well as something called GINGER TRIPS Gumlet. A 30-bottle count, they are similar to chewable tablets--keep chewing and the product becomes gum. It has 135mg of ginger and 10mg of vitamin B-6. The candy appears to be coated with alot of "sugar" but the associate told me she used it on a cruise and it was great.

The best part of the ginger trips is that it is only 10 calories! :)

Archived