peggy's cove??

musicmansmom

i have read that many cruisers go to peggys cove for a tour. can someone tell me what it has to offer that makes it so popular? i want to make the most out of my ports--boston, portland, sydney and halifax. besides shopping, walking in the towns and eating main lobster i want one tour that will be the most fun and interesting. i have done 3 whale watching tours in alaska already so i am ready for something new to do. has anyone taken the tour on the '' silva'' boat? i would like some info on it please. i will be on the carnival victory and dont know whether to book a tour with them or on my own. thanks for any help.

Hi again Music: O.K. let me see if I can help you. I was on a Princess cruise through Canada/New England and I did all ships excursion but I do not know if Carnival has the same things so I will tell you what we did through Princess. First of Nova Scotia. In the a.m. we took a bus tour to Peggy's Cove. That place is a photographer's dream. It is in a tiny fishing village, the lighthouse is there and they have couple of shops. it is on a very rocky coast. It is an extremely popular attraction as the parking lot was full of busses. We did it once, it was an great excursion but would not do it again. But now if you have not been there it is a great scenic spot. In the afternoon we got on one of th "duck" tours, first toured the city, got off a few spots and then was taken into the river that goes through Halifax. By the way on the Canada Ports of Call there is alot of info on Halifax by a guy named Rick or something like that.His thread is called Living in Halifax. He would be a good source to ask questions. We had a good time on that excursion.

Now in Portland, we took a bus tour to Kenneport, Maine. Now that is a fabulous New England town. Thoroughly enjoyed that excursion.

In Sydney we did not take an excursion. The town has really nothing to offer; all we did was walk around and look at the beautiful old homes but as I understand the excursions outside of the town are great.

I cannot help you with Boston. In fact we are taking Celebrity this fall to Canada/New England and one of our stops is Boston so I have been doing alot of research on that city for my own cruise.

Hopefully this helps you.

Marilyn

marylin

thanks again. you are really helping me out in choosing things to do. peggy's cove just might be on my tour agenda ;) . and the duck in halifax sounds fun too.

you must like this cruise since you are going again. i did the roundtrip to glacier bay alaska twice because i loved it so much. but now it is time for a change and i cant wait to go. i am getting organized ( thanks to you ) for the ports of call but i am not sure about new york. i will be solo and i dont want to wander around on my own. i dont know where my pre-cruise hotel will be yet, but i would like to find a tour company there to take me around and see the sights. a taxi will be '' too expensive'' and i wont trust myself NOT TO GET LOST using the buses. so i am also figureing out what to do in my afternoon/early evening time there. im sure i will come up with something. it would be a shame to go to new york for the first time and stay in the hotel room. thanks again for the help. maybe some day we will be sailing on the same ship :D .

We loved Peggy's cove! We took a RC ship's tour here "Peggy's Cove by land and sea" -- this involved a scenic boat ride there, and hour or so to stroll around Peggy's Cove and take some pictures (as well as enjoy some wonderful Lobster Chowder, included with the tour price), and finally a bus ride back. The scenery was interesting in both directions, and we saw a huge pod of dolphins and pilot whales during the "sea" portion of the trip. I think you can also arrange this tour individually if your ship does not offer it -- through Murphy's (http://www.murphysonthewater.com/)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I cannot help you with Boston. In fact we are taking Celebrity this fall to Canada/New England and one of our stops is Boston so I have been doing alot of research on that city for my own cruise.

Boston I would recommend the Freedom Trail for those up to walking. You will see a lot of the history concentrated in a small area. The USS Constellation and Boston Tea Party boat are also worth the time to see.

Here is a list of what you can see on the Freedom Trail:

Boston Common

Massachusetts State House

Park Street Church and Granary Burying Ground

Kings Chapel and Chapel Burying Ground

First Public School Site and Ben Franklin Statue

Former site of the Old Corner Bookstore

Old South Meeting House

Old State House

Boston Massacre Site

Faneuil Hall

Paul Revere House

Old North Church

Copp's Hill Burying Ground

USS Constitution and Charlestown Navy Yard

Bunker Hill Monument

i have read that many cruisers go to peggys cove for a tour. can someone tell me what it has to offer that makes it so popular? ..... thanks for any help.

We passed on Peggy's Cove when we were in Halifax. We thought it was oversold... I am sure it is a quaint village, but for the time it would take to get there and what we expected to see, we opted to do something else.

The port area is well worth walking around. We spend a good part of the morning doing that, had lunch and walked up to and toured the Citadel. There are beautiful views and many picture opportunities.

we are taking Celebrity this fall to Canada/New England and one of our stops is Boston so I have been doing alot of research on that city for my own cruise.

Marilyn, how long will you be in Boston? I'm looking at a Celebrity Canada/NE Cruise which shows Boston on page 91 of their brochure listed as being day 3 from 7 am to 7 pm, yet Celebrity faxed me something with Boston as Day 2 (omitting the full sea day), and with a significantly shortened Boston port call, i.e. 2 PM to 11 PM.

They dropped SEVEN HOURS from the port call, and arriving at 2 PM means very little time to do things which close at 5 PM.

What have you heard?

We rented a car from Enterprise within a short walk from the pier and drove directly to Peggy's cove beat all the traffic. Then drove on to the swiss air memorial and had lunch at a small resturant(you can eat at Peggy's cove easily before the buses get there). Then drove back to Halifax for the park, the cemetary where some of the bodies from the Titanic were brought and buried with headstones that are outline of a ship and finally to the Maritime Museum(which I recommend highly). Before the dropping of the atom bomb, Halifax was the scene of the largest manmade explosion when an ammunition ship and another ship collided and exploded, killing almost as many as died at the World Trade Center...I had never heard of it before. As you can see Halifax is disaster central....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree that Peggy's Cove is very pretty and the rocks at the light house are quite a photographer's dream but I also agree it is a long drive.

This time we are staying in town and doing some walking.

Boston, if you are in port long enough, the Beantown Trolley is narrated, on/off for one price and goes all around the city.

www.brushhilltours.com

Much better and cheaper than the ship tours.

Are you stopping in Newport? Don't take the ship tour. Just walk up to the visitors center and buy a bus/mansion ticket and do it at your own pace. For us 2 mansions were enough to make us head back to town for lunch.

www.newportmansions.org

• 1 month later...

MMM...We too are taking the Victory...leave 9/30. We will be in NY for 3 nights however. I've been to NY before and if I had only 1 afternoon & evening, I would do a Broadway play. Tickets for half price at the ticket outlet in Times Square starting at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Several plays to choose from. Also would do Empire State Bldng. At least you'll get to see Statue of Liberty when leaving port. Have a great cruise. Your posts have been very helpful to me as saved me from asking the same questions I have.

Ann

Archived