Messina-Taormina, Mount Etna or beachday

DipBrat

Trying to decide what to do for an early October stop in Messina. First time in Sicily but well traveled in Italy. Have a full day. Travelling with kids (8 and 5) but could split up or leave them on the boat.

I was interested in a Mount Etna but this is not offered by the cruiseline so wonder if it is too late in the year for that? I thought the 8 year old would be up for hiking and enjoy seeing a volcano, if it is not too cold.

The go to option seems to be Taormina but not sure I want to spend an hour in the car or bus to essentially see another nice Italian town.(I know the kids won't enjoy this much) If the weather is good is there a close beach worth going to? My research says it should be high 70s/mid 20s which will be beach weather for us by October.

• 2 weeks later...

There won't be any services open on beaches in October, it's well past the swimming season in Sicily. I've walked in the water in October on a warm day but it still wasn't swimming weather.

I would think that seeing a volcano up close would be pretty exciting for kids. At the southern approach, Rifugio Sapienza, you can climb on two dormant craters (Crateri Silvestri) right next to the parking lot. From this area you can also take the cable car up to a higher point on the way to the active crater. You can't get very close, it is an active volcano after all, but the cable car would be a fun experience for kids and certainly more memorable than a day at a deserted beach.

If you go, do bring sweaters/jackets and wet weather gear as the weather is variable and can change quickly. You'll want closed shoes as well because the craters you can climb on are loose gravel.

I climbed Mt Etna on our ship excursion but from Taormina. My guess it would be something like 2hr to get there from Messina.

If you and your kids can manage the trip to Etna, IMO it is well worth it. I loved it. Walking around the top of the crater from the extinct volcano and look across at the current crater was fabulous. The view from the top is unreal.

73ec04ce9ebf30f881c3e3c5660906d3.jpg

9e1d10f76aca8ce440e699548e7b8286.jpg

cfd0fa57534dd6fc30fd21a996ddd3d9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I guess I was overestimating the temperature. Have been in Northern Med in late September and it is usually play on the beach even jump in the water quickly weather. Thought Sicily would be a few weeks behind in fall.

Etna certainly looks like the most interesting option.