Port or Starboard, East or West

masterdrago

I've read somewhere that the view while cruising from Seward to Vancouver is pretty much the same regardless of which side of the ship the cabin is on. I would like to hear from real cruisers about this.

Has anyone created a Google Earth file that we can view that plots the path of the cruise ship during the cruise? The itinerary is:

Seward

Hubbard Glacier (cruising)

Juneau

Skagway

Icy Strait Point

Ketchikan

Inside Passage (cruising)

Vancouver

Generally speaking, for your cruise, if you're on the port (left) side of the ship you'll be towards the mainland - I'm not saying you'll actually see anything because you may be far from shore. But between places like Juneau and Skagway it probably won't matter much - there will be something on either side of the ship and it's not that far away. My first cruise to Alaska we had a starboard (right) side cabin - on the next we had a port side. I was thinking this change would be helpful so that we'd have different views while actually docked. Of course that didn't work out as expected because they turned the ship around in the opposite direction while docked the 2nd time... The same view... Ha Ha

If you have looked around the board here, you have heard from "real" cruisers, who frequently say, it really doesn't matter which side you book on. You aren't locked in your cabin, and the scenery is all around you.
Thanks for the feedback, cruiserbruce. I may have read it on the RCI blog but not sure. I was just curious what others have experienced since on other cruises we have enjoyed our time on the balcony but this is our 1st Alaska trip. Still, I've been looking at the map that RCI provides and was wanting more detail. I might try to run the plot on Google Earth myself but wanted to wait if someone else has already done the work.

Just looking at the small scale at https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/itinerary-1063/

Looks to me like a starboard side cabin gets to look at mostly water like the cruises in the Caribbean.

Am I looking at this from the wrong perspective? And yes, I know we are not "locked" in the cabin! But, you pay your $$ for a GS w/balcony for a reason.

Just looking at the small scale at https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/itinerary-1063/

Looks to me like a starboard side cabin gets to look at mostly water like the cruises in the Caribbean.

Am I looking at this from the wrong perspective? And yes, I know we are not "locked" in the cabin! But, you pay your $$ for a GS w/balcony for a reason.

We were on a Northbound in RCI Radiance of the Seas last May and had a starboard cabin. Sailing the inside passage and between Juneau and Skagway did not really seem to matter as there was land visible on both sides. Sailing from Hubbard to Seward we were too far from land to see anything.

As far as while in port, it seemed to alternate as to which direction the ship docked and what view we had:

Ketchikan - Docked port side, but we had a nice view of the channel and island. We did not see any whales while in Port, but some have reported seeing them from the ship.

Sitka - Docked starboard side at Old Sitka Dock. There was not a lot to see at the port.

Icy Strait Point - Docked port side. This worked out great multiple whales were near the ship most of the day and even saw Bubble net feeding right below our balcony.

Haines -Docked port side. Rain and fog when we re-boarded, so not much to see.

Juneau - Docked starboard side. Nice view of the city, but we were gone most of the day with Adventure Bound.

Skagway- Docked Starboard side next to the train tracks and only looking at the rock on the mountainside. The pot side had a better view.

Hubbard Glacier Viewing - The ship turned several times so each side got a great view.

Since you never know which direction you will dock in port, and the scenery is similar while sailing, I would focus on finding a cabin location you like. Whichever side you are on, you will enjoy it. Alaska is an amazing place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums