Calypso Rum Cake

Hillbillygram

I've heard that the Calypso Rum Cakes sold in Barbados are wonderful. My question is since it is a food product can it be brought back into the US?

Yes....they are sealed so you should have no problem. They are sold in the Barbados port terminal shopping area and also I believe there was another brand sold there also....try the samples before you buy.

Yes....they are sealed so you should have no problem. They are sold in the Barbados port terminal shopping area and also I believe there was another brand sold there also....try the samples before you buy.

Thank you. My husband was a Federal employee with the U. S. Department of Agriculture 25 years ago and he said he thought that if it was sealed, we could make it through the USDA screening at the airport in San Juan but given the length of time since he worked with them, he thought the rules might have changed. Funny story--on our cruise in May, I bought bath salts in Grand Turk for my daughters and myself. I had the bottles in my carry-on. When we were going through TSA at Ft. Lauderdale, my bag and I got pulled aside. They tested the bottles to make sure I wasn't smuggling drugs back into the country. It was embarrassing at the time but it's funny now.

Thank you. My husband was a Federal employee with the U. S. Department of Agriculture 25 years ago and he said he thought that if it was sealed, we could make it through the USDA screening at the airport in San Juan but given the length of time since he worked with them, he thought the rules might have changed. Funny story--on our cruise in May, I bought bath salts in Grand Turk for my daughters and myself. I had the bottles in my carry-on. When we were going through TSA at Ft. Lauderdale, my bag and I got pulled aside. They tested the bottles to make sure I wasn't smuggling drugs back into the country. It was embarrassing at the time but it's funny now.

You're very welcome.....Glad those were only bath salts :D

I once had all the fudge questioned in my carryon from the Alaska Fudge Company...I think TSA was just hoping to sample it :)

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2018 at 4:33 PM, Hillbillygram said:

I've heard that the Calypso Rum Cakes sold in Barbados are wonderful. My question is since it is a food product can it be brought back into the US?

Calypso is the best rum cake ever!! Yes you can take them on your  carryon bag. We bought  the big box and took it aboard  the plane with us and inspectors said that was fine.