help with decision

cruizingOmi

Hello,

my plan is to take the EAV to Sorrento, have a look around then move on to Positano, look around then take the ferry to Amalfi, take he bus to Ravello and back and then take the ferry to Salerno.

Is this the best way to get the views?

Another option would be start in Salerno take ferry or bus to Positano and work my way back either by bus or ferry I just want to experience the views the best way possible.

I am not tied to a cruise schedule.

thanks for any suggestions

I would consider taking the ferry from Naples to Sorrento to save time and to avoid the Circumvesuviana.

If the first ferry, at 9 AM (arrives 9:45), is later than you'd like, I would probably go with the train to Salerno and start there.

However, I think it's important to first understand if you are particularly drawn to any of the locations you're planning on. If so, I would arrange my day with the least compelling locations toward the end of the day so you can drop them off if you decide to spend more time at one of your priority stops.

The bus from Sorrento to Positano / Amalfi is likely to be a bit of a hold-up, especially in high season.

The bus is hourly, and it's over-subscribed.

When we got to the bus stop (at Sorrento rail station) there was a long line waiting. When the bus arrived, about 30 minutes later, there wasn't room on it for us so we'd have to wait another hour. And the line behind us was so long that there wouldn't even be room on the next bus for those who'd just joined it, so they'd be waiting two hours :eek:

For that reason we changed plans & took the train to Herculaneum instead.

And for that reason I caution those on a port-of-call visit against relying on the bus, especially since they'd likely find the same problem going back to Sorrento.

You don't have that same time limitation, but waiting anything up to 2 hours for a bus isn't a great day out for anyone.

On another trip when we stayed a few days at Ravello we had no problem with the buses between there & Amalfi or between Amalfi & Positano. Views from Ravello and from the Amalfi to Positano coast road are spectacular.

Eurocruiser's suggestion of a Salerno start avoids that potential long wait for a bus at Sorrento.

But at the end of the day you might want to consider taking the ferry from Positano to Amalfi & take the bus from there to Sorrento - this means doubling back but is more of a guarantee of a seat on the bus to Sorrento, gives you that magnificent coast road from Amalfi to Positano, and avoids the uphill slog from Positano to the bus stop on the main coast road.

Alternatively skip Sorrento - it's a very pleasant place but not outstanding & IMHO fits Eurocruiser's "least compelling locations" so best consigned to "if we have the time at the end of the day".

Just MHO as always

JB :)