bringing wine into Hong Kong?

socalguy2010

My DW and I generally like to bring our own wine (in a wine suitcase) when we cruise; Seabourn has no restrictions on this, as opposed to other cruise lines. We are sailing on the Ovation from Hong Kong to Singapore in January. Are there any limitations on how much wine we can bring with us when landing in Hong Kong?

(We were surprised last January when we sailed from Auckland to Sydney to find when our flight landed in Auckland that we were allowed to bring only 6 bottles into NZ. Fortunately they didn't check.)

There’s a 1 litre limit in Hong Kong - so effectively 2 bottles between you and your wife - then you’re at the mercy of the customs officer

https://www.customs.gov.hk/en/passenger_clearance/duty_free/index.html

Alcoholic Liquor

A passenger aged 18 or above is allowed to bring into Hong Kong, for his own use, 1 litre of alcoholic liquor with an alcoholic strength above 30% by volume measured at a temperature of 20℃ exempted from duty.

As an aside It’s not unique to Seabourn that you can bring your own alcohol on board - I think any of the all inclusive lines allow it without any charge - Crystal certainly does

Sorry, that is not correct. The alcoholic content of wine is usually less than 20% and often closer to 10%. The HK regulation is aimed at spirits. You can bring into HK as much wine as you can carry. I would expect however to have to explain what I was doing if I brought in a suitcase full because all these regulations are aimed at managing personal consumption, not running a business..

Yes - I was wrong on applying that limit on wine. You are correct it appears you can bring in as much as you want and get fit under your baggage allowance

It’s the spirits they will apply that limit to

Apologies for misleading information - a case of non deliberate fake news

Yeah, that's the way I and other web sources read it - no limit on wine. We're using it for personal consumption only (over the two week cruise). (I had also misread the “over 30%” as “up to 30%”, but it looks like there is no restriction on alcohol less than 30% ABV.) That's consistent with another web site: https://lazenne.com/pages/taking-alcohol-on-a-plane-101