Big NCL OOOPS!

mklak5

13 hours ago, mklak5 said:

I am sorry you were treated this way... i get your point. I like the bottom line- out the door price. It is actually a marketing tool that cruiselines use to get people to spend more... if you don’t see the total at first... you don’t realize how much you are spending. “The drink package was just $59 per day”... “I got off the ship only spending $40!”... nevermind you already prepaid for excursions, dining, etc etc etc.. Bottom line is this- we have all decided to cruise. We know their tactics... and have chosen to just live with it... and pay it... but that doesn’t mean we can’t wish they would change their sales tactics for those of us who just want the bottom line. 

The problem is that the advertised price and the out the door price are usually so far apart that one might think that it is purposely deceptive advertising. Myself, I am used to it and know how to navigate the system. So, there are no surprises for me. I just think that it's bad business practice for any company to advertise their product in such a manner. IMO the cruise lines are the worst of the lot and, I think, loose a lot of business because of it. Folks don't like to be deceived by politicians or companies.

On 10/23/2018 at 1:01 PM, Newleno said:

I guess we all have definitions of good deals, we booked an interior 15 day for $529, we dont think it is that great but ok

Absolutely! Whatever fits your financial comfort zone!

16 minutes ago, mklak5 said:

Absolutely! Whatever fits your financial comfort zone!

Not a good deal?  You're kidding?  You can't even stay at Motel 6 for that kind of money.:classic_laugh:  And remember you will have to have breakfast, lunch and dinner at Denny's.

Edited by Coasty
spelling ofcourse

12 hours ago, Coasty said:

Not a good deal?  You're kidding?  You can't even stay at Motel 6 for that kind of money.:classic_laugh:  And remember you will have to have breakfast, lunch and dinner at Denny's.

I am thrilled with the price I got! After my CruiseNext Certificates which were basically FREE (we invested $500 and got $1000 value... used 2 certificates on a cruise for January 2019 that we already had booked- and already had to pay for- and got $500 Free to put towards this cruise) our cruise balance is $1149... that's for 2 people in a Mini-Suite on the Epic- 7 night Western Mediterranean. One Sea Day. Hitting ports I have never been to. Yep- I am absolutely thrilled! 

On 10/24/2018 at 11:14 AM, Floridastorm said:

The problem is that the advertised price and the out the door price are usually so far apart that one might think that it is purposely deceptive advertising. Myself, I am used to it and know how to navigate the system. So, there are no surprises for me. I just think that it's bad business practice for any company to advertise their product in such a manner. IMO the cruise lines are the worst of the lot and, I think, loose a lot of business because of it. Folks don't like to be deceived by politicians or companies.

You must really LOVE buying a car 😉

21 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

You must really LOVE buying a car 😉

The difference is that I am not purchasing a cruise cabin that I own after the purchase. Apples and Oranges comparison. At least when I go to purchase a car I can negotiate the price that I pay. Little to no negotiation with the cruise line over what price I will pay for a cabin. However, I do understand where you are coming from and, no, I do not love the process of buying a car. By the way, I consider most if not all car dealers to be dishonest. Just another shady way of doing business just like the cruise industry.  Once again, I am not complaining just to complain. My idea is that the cruise industry can advertise a better way so that most folks don't feel taken. There is little that I personally can do to change the methods of the cruise industry just as I cannot change the methods of the car industry.

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

The difference is that I am not purchasing a cruise cabin that I own after the purchase. Apples and Oranges comparison. At least when I go to purchase a car I can negotiate the price that I pay. Little to no negotiation with the cruise line over what price I will pay for a cabin. However, I do understand where you are coming from and, no, I do not love the process of buying a car. By the way, I consider most if not all car dealers to be dishonest. Just another shady way of doing business just like the cruise industry.  Once again, I am not complaining just to complain. My idea is that the cruise industry can advertise a better way so that most folks don't feel taken. There is little that I personally can do to change the methods of the cruise industry just as I cannot change the methods of the car industry.

No it's not exactly the same, but in the end it really comes down to the only thing that matters is the bottom line price.  Maybe a better analogy would be renting a car.  They advertise a daily rate, but you sure aren't going to pay only that rate X number of days, same with hotels.  You really just have to get your bottom line price and decide if it is a value to you or not.

10 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

No it's not exactly the same, but in the end it really comes down to the only thing that matters is the bottom line price.  Maybe a better analogy would be renting a car.  They advertise a daily rate, but you sure aren't going to pay only that rate X number of days, same with hotels.  You really just have to get your bottom line price and decide if it is a value to you or not.

Good analogy you have made. But, if Walmart can list the out the door price on all of its products then I would suspect that Royal Caribbean can also. Local Sales Tax is the only add on and one can figure that in before even considering to buy something off the shelf. I just feel that the cruise lines are doing the same as the airlines with all of their add ons after the fact. Most people want to know the all inclusive pricing from an advertisement so that they don't have to delve into each company's reservation system and do a dummy booking in order to find out what it's going to actually cost you. .

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, mklak5 said:

I agree!  I actually did not start cruising until a few years ago because I didn't like being nickel and dimed... but then I realized I was missing out on some great places to visit. I traveled to all-inclusive resorts for 12 years and loved not having to worry about what was "extra".  Just give me the bottom line price and don't try to reel me in with an amazing per person price. But I admit, I am one of the lucky ones: I don't get seasick- so stick me anywhere on the ship and I am fine. I am never in my room... so give me an inside cabin, obstructed view... makes no matter to me. Drinking? two beverages in and I am a mess... so no need for the drink package. For my "free at sea" options I choose the shore excursion credit (and I don't always use it in every port) and the dining package... a whopping $27.40 gratuity tacked on to my cruise. Oh yeah... and I don't gamble... so basically I am the cruise line's worst nightmare! I usually get off the ship paying gratuities... and spend maybe $50 extra. 

Mklak5 I saw the crazy low rate for your sailing and snagged a studio cabin.  It seemed too good to pass up.  :)