Currency for Colombia/Panama/Costa Rica/Cozomel?

We found in columbia some places - for example the museums - would not accept  USD.  But they took credit cards.

Be careful as its about 4000 pesos to the UK pound and they use the US $ symbol.

So if you see something marked as $40,000 I tended to read as 40 USD but its only about £10.

2 hours ago, AlanCruise said:

We found in columbia some places - for example the museums - would not accept  USD.  But they took credit cards.

Be careful as its about 4000 pesos to the UK pound and they use the US $ symbol.

So if you see something marked as $40,000 I tended to read as 40 USD but its only about £10.

Rule of thumb with Colombian pesos- it’s approx. 4,000 pesos to the pound at the moment or 2,000 pesos to the dollar. So you divide by 4 to get the sterling amount or divide by 2 to get the dollar amount(and get rid of those extra zeros)

Colombia’s currency isn’t dollars however in Cartagena where they get the cruise ships it is an accepted practice with some traders. As said before as long as you know the exchange rate you will know whether you are being ripped off.

Lets just say that there has been complaints from foreigners about some eye watering charges for food, but this mostly happens on the beach. 

15 minutes ago, Colbrit said:

Rule of thumb with Colombian pesos- it’s approx. 4,000 pesos to the pound at the moment or 2,000 pesos to the dollar. So you divide by 4 to get the sterling amount or divide by 2 to get the dollar amount(and get rid of those extra zeros)

Colombia’s currency isn’t dollars however in Cartagena where they get the cruise ships it is an accepted practice with some traders. As said before as long as you know the exchange rate you will know whether you are being ripped off.

Lets just say that there has been complaints from foreigners about some eye watering charges for food, but this mostly happens on the beach. 

Be careful there it's just over 3000 to the usd.

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Be careful there it's just over 3000 to the usd.

Yep I stand corrected - I normally just pay attention to the sterling conversion as we send money transfers from here. Last time I checked it was 2,000 pesos to the dollar, but current exchange is 3,000 pesos to the dollar. 

For the day you’ll be in port just take small dollar denominations and I’d put big purchases on a credit card like the Halifax Clarity card which is free of charge on forex. 

9 hours ago, Colbrit said:

Yep I stand corrected - I normally just pay attention to the sterling conversion as we send money transfers from here. Last time I checked it was 2,000 pesos to the dollar, but current exchange is 3,000 pesos to the dollar. 

For the day you’ll be in port just take small dollar denominations and I’d put big purchases on a credit card like the Halifax Clarity card which is free of charge on forex. 

Good idea,we use Santander Zero which is no longer available but they keep renewing it when it expires.