Reunion cruises

davwen81

We are on the April 13 Reunion cruise and this was marked after we booked the cruise. 

For those of you who have travelled many time with PG both on Reunion cruises and  other cruises can you give us some idea if there are any noticeable diffferences? 

Just interested, never having travelled with PG before, to see if there is a diffference in atmosphere, on board activities, food??? 

Many help appreciated, many thanks

Wendy and David 

Hi Wendy and David from the other Wendy and David!

We've only been on the one reunion cruise, in 2014 I think, and it wasn't much different than usual.  Except that everyone was on their toes, service was excellent, and there was somewhat of a festive atmosphere.  At least that's how I remember it.  The CEO was on for part of the cruise, for instance.  Just expect everything to be especially top-notch, I would imagine. Lucky guys.

Expect it to be hot and humid in April, although perhaps you're used to that depending on where in Australia you're from.

The percentage of repeat cruisers was only marginally higher than a non-reunion cruise.  So newbies will not feel excluded. Of course, the percentage of repeaters is always high and newbies are always welcomed. 

The itinerary was bit unusual, but only a bit.

It was nice getting to know the CEO and getting some insight into the inner workings of the company.  It made me even happier to be spending money with them. They really are committed to the environment and to the Polynesian culture.

As "my" Wendy said, "Lucky guys."

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

Thanks Wendy and David, we have the President Diane Moore on as host, so sounds similar to yours. Glad to hear there’ll be a good mix of old and new PG cruisers. We are having trouble filling our excursion with ATO in Fakarava as only have about 6 on our roll call! And the cruise is sold out as there is no availability, so hope this situation changes over the next few months. 

Unfortunately we hate humidity, lol, coming from southern Australia where we get the heat, over 100 in summer, ( 97F here Thursday) but it’s dry heat, bearable in the shade. Oh well I’m sure we’ll be swept away by the beauty of it all and the ships pool for a quick dip will do us!

We know you guys have been to the Marquesas, we are thinking of booking a couple of excursions there as it’s over Good Friday and think everything else might be closed. Did you do any ships excursions in Fatu Hiva, Hapatoni or Hiva Oa? Just wondered if you could recommend anything. 

Cheers and thanks for your reply,

Wendy and David 🌺

You will almost certainly like Diane.  She was supposed to be on our reunion cruise but broke her ankle or something, and we had to "settle" for the CEO, whose name was Dick something, perhaps Bailey?  But we met Diane in another context and really enjoyed chatting with her and getting her perspective on the inner workings of the company.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

2 hours ago, davwen81 said:

We know you guys have been to the Marquesas, we are thinking of booking a couple of excursions there as it’s over Good Friday and think everything else might be closed. Did you do any ships excursions in Fatu Hiva, Hapatoni or Hiva Oa? Just wondered if you could recommend anything. 

Cheers and thanks for your reply,

Wendy and David 🌺

Ooh, the Marquesas!  There was nothing on Fatu Hiva, we just walked around, but we were in the Bay of Virgins, which is not where you anchor now I think.  They did add a 4x4 trip at the last minute, but we couldn't get on it.  We did a 4x4 on Hiva Oa, about 6 people, out to a scenic place, a marae, then back to the historic sites and town.  There is some tourist infrastructure there, since it's where Jacques Brel and Gauguin are buried.  

At that time (10 years ago), the PG only offered 4x4 trips on most of these islands.  My favourite was Nuku Hiva, which took us over the mountains through the Taipevai Valley.  Since I'd read Melville's "Typee",  I really wanted to see this area.

Thanks for your great replies. That seals it for us, we will do their two 4x4 tours in the other ports as then we get to see the Bay of Virgins as well as the Maraes. We have booked with Richard Dean to go to the Taipavei Valley in Nuka Hiva as that sounded lovely. 

So much to look forward to😍