Any Good wine suggestions?

chorder

beachchick: I assure you no disrespect was intended...I know there are many other premium wine regions in Ca. In fact, we love visiting them and enjoying their wine!

Shirleygr: Yes, we are familiar with V.Sattui...they are one of my husbands clients. We love taking out of town visitors there to picnic on their beautiful grounds.

I agree with many...drink what you like...we love the pricey stuff occasionally but went to Costco today and stocked up with our favorite everyday inexpensive wines!

Salud!

KathiB

One of the best ways to try out new wines and find several different ones you like is to go to wine tastings at your local wine shop. Most shops run them every month or so and feature different regions of the world or different varietals each month.

Another great way, and one that gets you together with friends, is to form your own club. We used to hold monthly wine evenings, rotating them among our houses. Each couple would bring 2 bottles of wine - we'd pick a region (or country), a varietal or some other theme, then taste all the different wines matching up with the evening's theme.

Those of you who live in the US are so lucky that you can get great wines from all over the world for awesome prices, especially at places like Costco or Costplus. We here in Canada get a much smaller selection at much higher prices. :(

Don't feel bad, LilRhody. Here in Pennsylvania, we have a state-controlled system, and we can only buy what someone in Harrisburg decides we should have. Wine tastings? HA! Good-bye, Pennsylvania, hello I-95 into Delaware and Maryland, and bridges into New Jersey................

Don't feel bad, LilRhody. Here in Pennsylvania, we have a state-controlled system, and we can only buy what someone in Harrisburg decides we should have. Wine tastings? HA! Good-bye, Pennsylvania, hello I-95 into Delaware and Maryland, and bridges into New Jersey................

Ah yes, Pennsylvania liquor laws. Aren't they lovely? I think they definitely rival Arkansas' - ever heard of dry counties?

KathiB: I took no offense, honest, but just had to give you a little teasing. Isn't it wonderful that we Californians have so much to choose from--and we don't have to only be loyal to one region?

Have you been to Ledson? If not, I highly recommend it. My sister took me to one of their events. I absolutely love their Ledson Legend--OMG, it's like drinking satin. And their Merlot is excellent as well--more like drinking velvet. They also do a 100% Cab Franc, which is lovely. They don't do many whites, but I remember the Sauv Blanc being really nice. Anyway, if by some chance you haven't been there, check it out.

Come to think of it, with Oregon and Washington developing more of a following (and some outstanding wines), we have even more to choose from and not to far to go for it.

beachchick

p.s. to Carol: If we ever happen to be on the same cruise, you (and your family) are welcome to join us on our balcony for some delicious CA wine. I am certain we would have fun.:D

I forgot to add...for our Med.cruise this June we plan to smuggle on 2 or 3 bottles of good Ca. wine. One will be a gift for our tour guide in Villefranche. Then we plan to buy some good Rioja in Spain and some French wine to bring on the ship to get us through the first few days. Then if we need to we can but more throughout Italy. All great places for inexpensive red wine.

Kathi

Kathi

Thats sounds pretty good thinking. I was just saying to my husband about sneaking some wine on board (i am not a cheap skate as we often eat out here in England and order a nice bottle of wine but I do object very very much paying way over the top for something. So I guess the way to go when we board in Southampton is bring/sneal in 2 bottles for the first 2 days at sea (not to mention a bottle of bubbly) then get a bottle every time we drop anchor at the port. Like you we are also crusing the med next June/July and Portugal, Gibraltar, Spain, France should be pretty cheap to buy a nice bottle or two.

Thanks for that.

I am having so much fun reading the posts on this thread but I am really getting thirsty!!! Do they have the wine tasting on all the cruises? We did that last year and had a lot of fun. I told my husband who is not a big wine drinker that he better not pour any of his samples in the "dump cup" but pour it right in mine. I think the flights at Vintages are a great way to try out different brands in your favorite kind of wine! Unfortunately I think they are only on Mariner and Navigator.

Carol

When we cruise RCI, I purchase the Diamond wine package because it has the Rosemount Estate Shiraz. I prefer Shiraz's to the other reds.

You don't have to smuggle wine or champagne on to RCI ships, only hard liquor.

Archived