Driving route Stroudsburg, PA to Cape Liberty

daju22

Will someone please tell me the least difficult way with less delays to drive from Stroudsburg, PA to Cape Liberty on a Saturday?  I have searched and found some people recommending route 80 to Garden State Parkway (no trucks) to 95 to 78 or route 80 to 280 to 95 to 78.  I haven't driven to Cape Liberty in a few years and wondered if traffic patterns have changed and if people are finding better ways to get from 80 to the port.  Thanks alot.

As someone who has done this exact route (only in reverse) more times than I can count (I load at a chemical storage facility in Bayonne called IMTT about a mile or so past the cruise terminal) I would (and do) take I80 east to I287 south. Then take rt24 east to I78 which takes you right to Bayonne.  Actual milage wise my route vs the GSP route is a wash, but 78/24 takes you south of downtown Newark while 280 goes right through the middle.    I wouldn't get hung up on traffic patterns,  one sat can be clear sailing while the very next one can be gridlock due to whatever.  Heck, it can even go from cruising along at 60mph to dead stop in minutes. up there. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

As someone who has done this exact route (only in reverse) more times than I can count (I load at a chemical storage facility in Bayonne called IMTT about a mile or so past the cruise terminal) I would (and do) take I80 east to I287 south. Then take rt24 east to I78 which takes you right to Bayonne.  Actual milage wise my route vs the GSP route is a wash, but 78/24 takes you south of downtown Newark while 280 goes right through the middle.    I wouldn't get hung up on traffic patterns,  one sat can be clear sailing while the very next one can be gridlock due to whatever.  Heck, it can even go from cruising along at 60mph to dead stop in minutes. up there. 

Thank you very much for your reply, Dave.  I'll look at the routes on the map.  Gridlock is why I'm driving in a day early.  🙂

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 9:13 AM, TruckerDave said:

Could you take 33S to I78E and does that bring you right to the port?

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, Pami1968 said:

Could you take 33S to I78E and does that bring you right to the port?

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, Pami1968 said:

yes I-78E will take you to the port

Edited by boo214