Special Dietary Requirments - Cruising with "SIBO"

cathycruise

Hello,

I have been recently diagnosed with SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) after two years of numerous GI troubles.  I was treated with antibiotics and have been on an extremely restricted diet since.  My health is so much better now and I truly thank the Lord for that after 2 years of endless troubles! 🙂  

We are getting on a cruise in December and I have submitted my dietary restrictions through the passenger profile (no lactose, gluten free, garlic and onion allergy).  Princess emailed me back saying I'll need to discuss it with the Maitre D when we get onboard.  To be honest, that reply didn't quite assure me if I'll be able to eat anything other than plain rice from the buffet... 😛  Has anybody cruised with SIBO before?   Basically, I can't have anything that has sugar, sugar alcohol, garlic/onion, regular milk (including ice cream and gelato! 😢), or anything made with wheat flour.  (yep, there's virtually no chance for me to gain weight during my cruise, and that is a huge upside of my story. 🙂)

Any helpful advice or testimony will be truly appreciated.  Thank you very much!

Good Evening,

My wife has similar restrictions due to numerous allergies...no wheat, corn or corn syrup sweetened products, no cow milk, no tomato or tomato products, no citrus, etc, etc.  

We have met with the Maitre D on the first afternoon where they handle last minute changes and special requests. Check the patter on boarding for time and location. We have always been assigned to same maitre d and wait staff for duration of cruise. They will go over menu in advance and cook to order to omit non compliant items.  In practice, this means lots of plain steak, fish or chicken with fruit for desert.  

We also take aboard our own goat milk cheese and yogurt along with spelt flour crackers and bread.  For days off the ship on excursions, we take chicken breast pouches as we have been less assured of finding acceptable choices ashore with limited time.

If eating in buffet, you will have to ask supervisors about ingredients.  For breakfast, the omelette station has always been the safest for us.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

58 minutes ago, cathycruise said:

Hello,

I have been recently diagnosed with SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) after two years of numerous GI troubles.  I was treated with antibiotics and have been on an extremely restricted diet since.  My health is so much better now and I truly thank the Lord for that after 2 years of endless troubles! 🙂  

We are getting on a cruise in December and I have submitted my dietary restrictions through the passenger profile (no lactose, gluten free, garlic and onion allergy).  Princess emailed me back saying I'll need to discuss it with the Maitre D when we get onboard.  To be honest, that reply didn't quite assure me if I'll be able to eat anything other than plain rice from the buffet... 😛  Has anybody cruised with SIBO before?   Basically, I can't have anything that has sugar, sugar alcohol, garlic/onion, regular milk (including ice cream and gelato! 😢), or anything made with wheat flour.  (yep, there's virtually no chance for me to gain weight during my cruise, and that is a huge upside of my story. 🙂)

Any helpful advice or testimony will be truly appreciated.  Thank you very much!

That's the standard response from Princess with regards to food/dietary restrictions.  They really do handle food allergies and requirements very well onboard.  

You'll definitely need to see the maitr'de upon boarding to go over your requirements in depth.  They'll be sure that all the wait staff helping along the way are aware 

Each evening, one of the maitr'des will bring the menu for the next day, go over it with you, ask any questions, make suggestions, etc and take your order for the next night. Your meal will be prepared special.  If you go to specialty dining, they'll come up there and work with the kitchen there for you also, to make sure they're aware...

As for breakfast and lunch, the MDR is the easiest f make sure to tell the assistant maitr'de there of your cabin nunber and foid requirements, they'll make sure you have something that fits. 

If you go to the buffet, ask the maitr'de working there to show you what you can have, etc.  

Princess handles dietary requirements quite well.  You should do great 

• Like 1

While it doesn’t feel reassuring, Princess does a great job of preparing and serving dishes to order based on your dietary needs. The Maitre d’ will be available from about 1-2:30 pm to talk to. The time and place will be posted in the “Welcome aboard” Patter in your cabin on embarkation day. You can also call or stop by the Passenger Services Desk. They will have the information of where he’ll be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

While it doesn’t feel reassuring, Princess does a great job of preparing and serving dishes to order based on your dietary needs. The Maitre d’ will be available from about 1-2:30 pm to talk to. The time and place will be posted in the “Welcome aboard” Patter in your cabin on embarkation day. You can also call or stop by the Passenger Services Desk. They will have the information of where he’ll be. 

Thank you, Pam.  Very helpful information.  Really appreciate it.

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

That's the standard response from Princess with regards to food/dietary restrictions.  They really do handle food allergies and requirements very well onboard.  

You'll definitely need to see the maitr'de upon boarding to go over your requirements in depth.  They'll be sure that all the wait staff helping along the way are aware 

Each evening, one of the maitr'des will bring the menu for the next day, go over it with you, ask any questions, make suggestions, etc and take your order for the next night. Your meal will be prepared special.  If you go to specialty dining, they'll come up there and work with the kitchen there for you also, to make sure they're aware...

As for breakfast and lunch, the MDR is the easiest f make sure to tell the assistant maitr'de there of your cabin nunber and foid requirements, they'll make sure you have something that fits. 

If you go to the buffet, ask the maitr'de working there to show you what you can have, etc.  

Princess handles dietary requirements quite well.  You should do great 

Thank you!  Really helpful!!