Help with pre-cruise options

moneeman

I need some help evaluating pre-cruise tour options.  We have previously toured inland a bit, and want to stick closer to the coast this time.  Without getting into too much logistical detail, we basically have 3 days available for tours/activities (and I am allowing additional time for travel in-between).  The first day will be in Homer, where we will take a bear viewing excursion.  Past that, I am considering these options (not all of them):

1.  staying in Homer an additional day, though I don't have an activity picked out yet.  My wife doesn't fish, so it would more likely be kayaking or the water taxi.

2.  a Prince William Sound glacier cruise.  The Phillips cruises look good, and we would probably opt for the longer one.

3.  a Kenai Fjord cruise.  Probably the Major Marine 6-hour cruise.

4.  any other day-long tour out of Anchorage (we covered Talkeetna and flightseeing over Denali last time)

We definitely want to do at least one glacier cruise.  Is the Kenai Fjord cruise very different from Prince William Sound?  How do those cruises compare/contrast?  Whales are great, but other wildlife and glaciers are a higher priority.  I have a lot of flexibility in how to set this up, as I will have a rental car up until the last day.  I have read plenty of reviews, but would love to hear your opinions.  Thanks in advance.

where are you cruising out of?   With your limited time,  I'd suggest just picking up your boat tour at that location.  

With your 3 day  reference,   that means-   you have additional time?    What is your actual  Anc arrival time,   what you actually have planned?   

I'll assume you are peak for your bear tour  and you know you need to allow those 2 days in Homer-  if a priority?  There is plenty to consider that isn't fishing. https://www.homeralaska.org/visit-homer.html   Frankly,   overnights are significantly superior,  with bear tours,   which I highly recommend.   

2 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

where are you cruising out of?   With your limited time,  I'd suggest just picking up your boat tour at that location.  

With your 3 day  reference,   that means-   you have additional time?    What is your actual  Anc arrival time,   what you actually have planned?   

I'll assume you are peak for your bear tour  and you know you need to allow those 2 days in Homer-  if a priority?  There is plenty to consider that isn't fishing. https://www.homeralaska.org/visit-homer.html   Frankly,   overnights are significantly superior,  with bear tours,   which I highly recommend.   

I didn't want to bog down replies with detailed logistics, but since you asked:

Fly into Anchorage from Seattle on Saturday

Drive from Anchorage to Homer on Sunday

Bear trip on Monday

Tuesday open

Wednesday open

Thursday open

Friday - cruise departs from Seward at 8:00 pm

At some point we will return the car in Anchorage and we plan to take the train to Seward.  I'm completely open as to where to spend the night, but figure it will be either Homer, Anchorage, Girdwood/Alyeska, or (perhaps the last night) Seward.

Thanks.

Depends on you???    With your time,   you aren't interested in overnighting with the bear option?   

I'd suggest you rank your interests,  and look far more into your listed locations and determine what touring you'd like,  look at the details of what they offer,  and rank your preferences.    That goes a way further in planning the right itinerary for YOU.  

I appreciate the info, and will look into the overnight bear tour options.  

Are there significant differences between the Kenai Fjord glacier cruise and the one on Prince William Sound?  I'd love to hear comparisons from anyone who has done both.

The Prince William Sound cruises out of Whittier focus more on glaciers than the Kenai Fjords cruises out of Seward. I like glaciers so if I had to choose between the two, I'm going out of Whittier. Doing both would be awesome and doable with your plan.

Here's what I would do (just my personal preferences):

Bear trip on Monday

Tuesday: Drive from Homer back to Girdwood, stopping as you like along the way. Options include the detour to Hope, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage, the Byron Glacier walk ( You can see our pictures here ) Russian River falls, etc.. Overnight in Girdwood. The Alyeska Resort is nice, Alyeska Accomdations can be more affordable.

Wednesday: Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier. Overnight Girdwood.

Thursday: A guided Matanuska Glacier hike. https://micaguides.com/  It's a beautiful drive up. Allow 3 hours for the drive. Overnight Anchorage.

Friday - Early morning Coastal Classic train to Seward and do a Kenai Fjords cruise before boarding your ship. Cruise departs from Seward at 8:00 pm

• Like 1

I pretty much always do both PWS and Kenai Fjords boat tours-multiple times every visit.   Scenery is a highlight.  Wildlife is exciting.   Every trip is different. 🙂.

I haven’t been with Philips out of Whittier in several years but if going there I’d be on their longest trip.      Kenai Fjords Of course at least a 6 hour trip with my preferences always longer. 😀😀.  Especially nice is Major Marine’s. Aialik/Holgate. Combo.  😀😀.  

For me there is no “best “.  Both stand on their own with excellence.  

We are booked for a similar trip next May. I like the layout of AKStafford but if I'm correct the train departs Anchorage at 6:45am. That's the detail that has forced us to do the 3:00pm motor coach. It just kills a day taking the rent car back to Anchorage.

On 12/21/2018 at 12:58 PM, AKStafford said:

The Prince William Sound cruises out of Whittier focus more on glaciers than the Kenai Fjords cruises out of Seward. I like glaciers so if I had to choose between the two, I'm going out of Whittier. Doing both would be awesome and doable with your plan.

Here's what I would do (just my personal preferences):

Bear trip on Monday

Tuesday: Drive from Homer back to Girdwood, stopping as you like along the way. Options include the detour to Hope, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage, the Byron Glacier walk ( You can see our pictures here ) Russian River falls, etc.. Overnight in Girdwood. The Alyeska Resort is nice, Alyeska Accomdations can be more affordable.

Wednesday: Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier. Overnight Girdwood.

Thursday: A guided Matanuska Glacier hike. https://micaguides.com/  It's a beautiful drive up. Allow 3 hours for the drive. Overnight Anchorage.

Friday - Early morning Coastal Classic train to Seward and do a Kenai Fjords cruise before boarding your ship. Cruise departs from Seward at 8:00 pm

This is a good plan,   but,  does have a lot of transit for the single day in Homer.   Superior is to have another day,   or forget,   Matanuska perhaps?     It's very common for delays/cancellations with single day bear tour planning.  I just would never consider a day trip  since overnights are grossly superior as well.  (actually I've never gone for less than 2 nights-   my minimum. )   I want a LOT of viewing and stack my offs ideally.   I also usually go out of Soldotna anyway.   I don't compromise on these tours, and only go peak.