Creative Ways to get to St. John Please

cruisinforfun9

HI - I tried searching and couldn't find what I'm looking for so grateful for anyone that can help.  We are arriving in St. Thomas on the NCL Bliss in March and I have my heart set on going to St. John.  We went there right before the Hurricanes and I WANT to go back ;)!.  Our ship docks from 8-6 so lots and lots of time but my hubs is not very amicable to the idea of taxi'ing over to Red Hook and taking the ferry.  He thinks it's a hassle and the taxi ride from the airport to Red Hook last time we went was quite unpleasant so he has that top of mind.  All the shore excursions through NCL have very set itinerary's to do in St. John and I want to get over there and do my own thing... grab some beer and sandwiches and a taxi to my favorite beach and then head back and spend a few in Cruz Bay.     So, shore excursions through NCL are out.  Is the Charlotte Amalie ferry operating again, I saw a site that says it's not yet but others that indicate it is.  Is there any private taxi's and/or private shore excursions that will take us from near the cruise boat to Cruz Bay?  Any other creative ideas.  Just want to have all the options to present to my hubs to convince him which is best.  Thanks so much!

The Charlotte Amalie ferry to Cruz Bay is not operating. I'm sorry, but taking the Red Hook ferry is the easiest and least costly option. If you charter a boat, it will cost you for the whole day, probably $600. And I believe the only boats allowed to pick up at the two docks are the ones through the cruise lines.

Actually there are several current threads with advice and pricing for this, just take a few moments to read through them. You can also use the Search function, but with all of the more recent threads that shouldn’t be necessary.

The taxi from the cruise dock to Red Hook is not that bad, and the ferry ride is much smoother and shorter from RH. Going on your own the round trip cost to Cruz is ~$34 - $36pp, and as you said you have so much more freedom and flexibility. You can then taxi to a beach or opt for an island tour before being dropped at a beach. 

Good luck!