Marco Polo app

Naomilasha

I don't know about that particular app, but I'm pasting below part of a conversation I had with a Verizon rep when I was trying to work out this same issue (needing to stay in contact with family back home). This might be helpful for you:

during the cruise, I have bought a WIFI package while on board, but I understand that I should put the phone in airplane mode and then turn wifi on to use it. If I do that, am I correct that I cannot send or receive texts?

Verizon
Yes that is correct.

Verizon
Nothing to worry, we have tips for you

Verizon
To confirm, are you using some apps like wechat or viber?

You
I don't know. Not sure what those are.

Verizon
No worries!

Verizon
I'm with you on this .

Verizon
For that for you to be able to receive and send message

Verizon
You can use wi-fi while airplane mode is turn off.

You
while airplane mode is turned off? And then use those apps?

Verizon
Yes you may use your device and any apps on it using wi-fi and you can send and receive message as well

You
But then why would I need to turn airplane mode off?

Verizon
Because if airplane mode is off , you can receive message and send as well .

Verizon
Turning off airplane mode will activate your service,.

Verizon
By turning it on, you can only use wi-fi

You
Ok. Let me see if I can state this back correctly, do you mind?

Verizon
Sure thing!

Verizon
No worries!

You
If I have the ship wifi service, I can put the phone in airplane mode and connect to the ship's wifi and that will let me use messaging apps like Viber or WeChat with anyone else who has those apps installed on their phone. If I want to receive actual texts through my Verizon service, though, I'd have to turn airplane mode off in order to do that. Those messages would cost $.50 each to send and/or receive?

Verizon
You got it all correct 🙂

1 hour ago, bbtbear said:

I don't know about that particular app, but I'm pasting below part of a conversation I had with a Verizon rep when I was trying to work out this same issue (needing to stay in contact with family back home). This might be helpful for you:

during the cruise, I have bought a WIFI package while on board, but I understand that I should put the phone in airplane mode and then turn wifi on to use it. If I do that, am I correct that I cannot send or receive texts?

Verizon
Yes that is correct.

Verizon
Nothing to worry, we have tips for you

Verizon
To confirm, are you using some apps like wechat or viber?

You
I don't know. Not sure what those are.

Verizon
No worries!

Verizon
I'm with you on this .

Verizon
For that for you to be able to receive and send message

Verizon
You can use wi-fi while airplane mode is turn off.

You
while airplane mode is turned off? And then use those apps?

Verizon
Yes you may use your device and any apps on it using wi-fi and you can send and receive message as well

You
But then why would I need to turn airplane mode off?

Verizon
Because if airplane mode is off , you can receive message and send as well .

Verizon
Turning off airplane mode will activate your service,.

Verizon
By turning it on, you can only use wi-fi

You
Ok. Let me see if I can state this back correctly, do you mind?

Verizon
Sure thing!

Verizon
No worries!

You
If I have the ship wifi service, I can put the phone in airplane mode and connect to the ship's wifi and that will let me use messaging apps like Viber or WeChat with anyone else who has those apps installed on their phone. If I want to receive actual texts through my Verizon service, though, I'd have to turn airplane mode off in order to do that. Those messages would cost $.50 each to send and/or receive?

Verizon
You got it all correct 🙂

The rep is wrong about texting.  If you put your phone in airplane mode, you can send and receive actual texts over the ship's wifi to someone off or on the ship and not receive any charges.  If you turn airplane mode off, the texts will be sent over the ship's cellular network.  The company that provides cellular service on the ship, will send the charges directly to your Verizon bill.

I have Verizon, and I have used wifi texting on two cruises.  I had the value internet package each time.  I was cruising solo.  I was texting my mom back home. 

On a slightly related note, to wifi text someone else on the ship, both people would need wifi-capable devices.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

The rep is wrong about texting.  If you put your phone in airplane mode, you can send and receive actual texts over the ship's wifi to someone off or on the ship and not receive any charges.  If you turn airplane mode off, the texts will be sent over the ship's cellular network.  The company that provides cellular service on the ship, will send the charges directly to your Verizon bill.

I have Verizon, and I have used wifi texting on two cruises.  I had the value internet package each time.  I was cruising solo.  I was texting my mom back home. 

On a slightly related note, to wifi text someone else on the ship, both people would need wifi-capable devices.

Cool. Thanks for the additional knowledge!

Agreed that the rep is wrong 

although I think the texts will only work iPhone to iPhone with the WiFi on?

Don't turn the WiFi off to text. It's 50cents charged by Verizon but the ship's cellular service could be very costly. People come home to bills in the thousands.  Try whatsapp.  It's a free texting app. FB IM  works too

As to the original post, not familiar with Marco polo. I would have back ups installed prior to boarding in case it doesn't. You can test it out after boarding while still in port when you can still switch back and forth off airplane mode. 

52 minutes ago, pohlerbear said:

Agreed that the rep is wrong 

although I think the texts will only work iPhone to iPhone with the WiFi on?

Don't turn the WiFi off to text. It's 50cents charged by Verizon but the ship's cellular service could be very costly. People come home to bills in the thousands.  Try whatsapp.  It's a free texting app. FB IM  works too

As to the original post, not familiar with Marco polo. I would have back ups installed prior to boarding in case it doesn't. You can test it out after boarding while still in port when you can still switch back and forth off airplane mode. 

I used a Samsung Galaxy S5 each time.  My mom, who was at home, had a LG Exalt flip phone each time.  You are thinking of iMessage.  iMessage is an instant messaging app.  I am talking about actual texts.

I mispoke earlier.  The ship's cellular service doesn't determine the charges.  Your carrier determines what you pay.  The ship's cellular service just reports your usage to your carrier.

People come back with huge bills because they didn't: put their phone in airplane mode, turn off automatic updates, turn off background downloads, or set downloads to wifi only.  If they had done the tiniest bit of research, they would have realized what they would be charged and that there are options available to pay less or nothing at all.  Teenagers addicted to texting are another cause of huge bills.  I may sound cold, but I only have sympathy for people that get huge bills due to dealing with an emergency or their phone actually malfunctioning.  In both cases, it is out of their control.

Edited by Tiger0613