American Cruise Lines?

MichelleP

We'd like to try the Great Rivers of Florida itinerary on this cruise line, but the prices are very high for us. Do they ever discount? Or can travel agents get cheaper fares? How much cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

Their website quotes a $400 discount for early purchase. They are listed with many agencies, so perhaps there comes a point where they discount to fill the boat.

I've found a few reviews around the Internet, but not many. None mention how full the cruises are. The latest review was very positive about the cruise. The onboard content seemed to be the common issue with all the reviews, but it wasn't a major issue for any of them. Use the ship names in quotes to find the reviews in google.

Review Linky

American Cruise Lines seems to have a good thing going for itself, but getting independent info on them is tough. I wish I could find more reviews, but they just aren;t out there. :)

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I had my family down at Baltimore's Inner Harbor for a trip to the Maryland Science Center and saw the American Spirit (from American Cruise Lines) hoist anchor and pull away from the dock. I recognized it because I recently read an article in Cruise Travel Magazine about it. I can't remember which issue it was in, but if I can find the article I'll post its reference here.

From my observation, I couldn't tell if the ship was full. But there did seem to be a good number of people on her. I've never been on any ACL ship, but I have heard good things about it. My wife seemed intrigued by it, but we won't travel with out our kids. And from what I know, ACL is not really a cruise line for small kids. However, the thought of doing a coastal voyage as a getaway from my wife and me is intriguing.

I'll see if I can find that article and maybe post a summary here.

The article about ACL's American Spirit is in the current issue of Cruise Travel Magazine (June, 2006) which may still be on some newsstands. Nearly every articlle in this magazine has "glowing" descriptions of every ship they've ever reviewed, so I don't know how objective it is. But it is worth a read.

BobK/Orlando

• 2 weeks later...

This cruise company docks in my town, Bucksport, Maine. Where i work is right next to where it comes in. I watch the people get off and a few things go threw my head. The first one is... man i wish i was on a cruise, the second one, why are people comeing here??

I looked into it just to see what they offer and the prices, they really are expensive.

So if anyone does the coast of maine itinerary i might see you getting off the boat! and i say boat cause they are so small, not that that is a bad thing, i would LOVE to go on a smaller boat like that.

• 1 month later...

I'm also a Mainer... I sent eamil to the company in February, inquiring about a few issues and never recieved a reply.

I noted today that they were included in the CC news letter, announcing a Pirate themed cruise for this December.

I would still like to see more reviews from any source on American. I think there game plan is very commendable, but wonder if they can compete in the market with such fierce competition. Based on the reviews I have read they seem to be reaching for the caddilac cruiser, but using chevy help and materials to get the job done... hope I am wrong...

• 3 weeks later...

I was also really surprised at the lack of reviews available online, when I was getting ready to take my American Spirit trip this summer. I was going mainly on recommendations from friends and family, so I had *some* expectation/preparation, but most others just don't get that luxury.

Yes. It's pricey. (and totally worth it, IMO)

Yes. It goes to some unexpected ports - but then, this is not a cruise about flash and tourist attractions. It's more focused on historical significance or unique locations that most people just don't see. Strange, sometimes...but cool too. This cruise is more about seeing things, than doing things... if that makes sense.

If the cruise is full (and it often IS) it still doesn't seem all that full, because there just aren't that many people involved in the first place.

American Glory and American Eagle each only have about 30 passenger cabins. A FULL ship is about 50-60 people. The new American Star and the American Spirit have 52 cabins, and are full at about 90-100 passengers. Still, as they wander on and off leisurely, it doesn't seem like it's FULL. And I love that.

It's very *nice* in every way, and there are few negative things I can say about my experience with them - I highly recommend it!

Archived