Rookie Needs Input: Splendour of the Seas

dkballard

Hello Everyone:

I just booked a voyage on the Splendour for June 4th (7-day, Italy / Greece). It's a 50th wedding anniversary gift for my parents, so my wife and I are taking them. It's the first cruise for all of us, so I need some help with the basics (:eek: please!):

• Any feedback on the Splendour of the Seas? Good ship, bad ship, aging ship, crew, food, activities not to miss, etc.?
  • Cabin Location: Parents are in an Owner's Suite, we're in a Junior suite (Deck 8). We were talked into an aft / rear cabin, instead of one mid-ships. Anybody stay in one of the rear cabins that can give me some pro's and con's? My wife's concerned about getting seasick, noise, etc.
  • Any other general input for a rookie? Such as use of port excursions, airport transfers, dining options, other sites to review, etc.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

The Splendour is definitely a "good" ship. We did a transatlantic on her in 2003 and are booked on the 18 day transatlantic from Venice to Galveston in October. It is a Vision class ship - a smaller one - but we like the smaller ones. She's older but was in great shape on our last cruise. We've also been on the Grandeur and Rhapsody and like them all. The food on any cruise is a matter of personal preference as are the activities. We always gain weight so we obviously like the food well enough! We enjoy most of the shows, the trivia games and the art auctions. We actually just like being on the ship and the activities aren't all that important to us.

A lot of folks will tell you that the aft cabin is the way to go. We've not been in one on an RCI ship but did have one in Hawaii on NCL and it is nice to be able to see the land on both sides of the ship. We really didn't have any sea days so don't have a feel for what the motion would be. We did decide not to get an Aft on the transatlantic because of the concern about motion. I do get seasick. It turned out FIL decide to go with us so we upgraded to a GS and there are none of those Aft anyway. I think your parents will be very happy with the OS. We originally booked a JS and only upgraded because FIL is going. He was one of the unfortunate victims of Hurricane Katrina and decided to live with us rather than rebuild his home for the second time.

We've not yet done your itinerary so can't help you with port info. I've been looking for excursions we can do that would accomodate a wheelchair and haven't had a lot of luck.

Enjoy your cruise and prepare to be hooked! Our upcoming cruise is number 15 and would be more if we could afford it!

Last spring we sailed Splendour in an aft cabin on the 7th deck. I didn't like the fact that we couldn't see down into the water from our balcony. If this is something that would not make you happy, maybe you should switch to a side balcony cabin.

I suggest that you check out the Ports of Call forums on this site. I did that and we had great excursions.

That being said, here is what I would suggest: Cayman Islands - book a Stingray City tour. It is an amazing experience to swim with the rays.

Cozumel - Paradise Beach and a snorkel excursion if you enjoy snorkeling.

Costa Maya - We did the Mayan Ruins excursion with David and Ivan. It was really great. We then went to Majahual for the rest of the afternoon. We ate, hung out at the beach and shopped.

Belize - I would do a private excursion of cave tubing.

Here is a link to our pictures:http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100

She is a beautiful ship, it is a great itinerary, and I am sure you will all enjoy your cruise.

Oh, do NOT miss Quest on the ship! It is a fun adult game.

That being said, here is what I would suggest: Cayman Islands - book a Stingray City tour. It is an amazing experience to swim with the rays.

Cozumel - Paradise Beach and a snorkel excursion if you enjoy snorkeling.

Costa Maya - We did the Mayan Ruins excursion with David and Ivan. It was really great. We then went to Majahual for the rest of the afternoon. We ate, hung out at the beach and shopped.

Belize - I would do a private excursion of cave tubing.

Pssst......They are sailing in Italy and Greece.;)

Anyway, we were on the Splendour this past July for my 50th Birthday. The ship was in excellent shape but the highlights of course were the European ports.

Sailed R/T out of Barcelona in October 2004 on Splendour. By far the best cruise we have taken. Loved the ship & everything about it. Can't say anything about the entertainment as it was a very port intensive cruise & I think we only went to 1 show. Enjoy!

Wendy

I just got off the ship yesterday. We stayed in a Junior Suite and really enjoyed it. The service and the food were very good. It is a beautiful ship and we would go on her again in a heartbeat.

Richard

just sailing.........which JS were you in?

We took our first cruise for my parents 50th too. I think you'll all have a terrific time. I get motion sickness in cars, on fishing boats on lakes, on most rides at amusement parks, but I have never been sick on a cruise ship. Of course I would never go in the carribean during storm season, and I always pack the wrist braclets, dramamine, bromine, and scope patches, just in case, but I've never had to use them! Have been in the middle, front and back of the ship it really doesn't matter, if it were to get a little ruff you can always go up on deck. Lucky you to be able to book suites your first cruise, leave your worries at home! Have Fun!!!!!

The Splendour is a BEAUTIFUL ship in great shape! The staff was supberb, food excellent, shows fantastic! On shore excursions: don't miss (would love to say Stingray City but we couldn't stop due to choppy waters :( ); Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel - most incredible experience if you are an animal lover; Cave tubing in Belize - WOW!!! Costa Maya - I'm sure there's more exciting things to do than we did, but we just explored their fishing village. We got to really 'see' the people that live there. We just browsed their goods at their storefront huts, got an awesome massage on the beach and enjoyed a few brews along with their fresh salsa kicking back on the beach - was a great cultural experience!!! :)

The Splendour is a BEAUTIFUL ship in great shape! The staff was supberb, food excellent, shows fantastic! On shore excursions: don't miss (would love to say Stingray City but we couldn't stop due to choppy waters :( ); Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel - most incredible experience if you are an animal lover; Cave tubing in Belize - WOW!!! Costa Maya - I'm sure there's more exciting things to do than we did, but we just explored their fishing village. We got to really 'see' the people that live there. We just browsed their goods at their storefront huts, got an awesome massage on the beach and enjoyed a few brews along with their fresh salsa kicking back on the beach - was a great cultural experience!!! :)

Jody, I gave the same type of ideas, but they are sailing to Greece and Italy.

DH and I just got off one of Splendour's sister ships (Enchantment)... we had an Aft JS and loved it! The balconies on the Aft cabins are huge... about twice the size of a JS balcony on the side of the ship. It was big enough to hold two lounge chairs in addition to the two chairs and table on a normal size balcony.

Sheffie is right... you can't see down to the water, but the size of the balcony more than made up for that.

There wasn't an additional noise, it was actually very quiet. Not many people around other than the few that had cabins back there. There was a some additional motion, but not enough to bother us.

Have a great trip! :)

My husband and I did a cruise in September 2005 out of Barcelona on the Splendour. We were in aft cabin 8182. The view from the balcony was amazing and there was no noise. We've had the opportunity to have 2 aft cabins so far and we've booked our next cruise in an aft cabin again. The balcony is absolutely worth it. Granted we feel more motion in the back but nothing beats being rocked to sleep.

The Splendour although older than some ships in the fleet is still in great condition and an excellent choice for a 1st cruise. European cruises are port intensive so you will be basically on the ship to eat and sleep.

We chose the late seating and this gave us time to rest, have a predinner drink and maximize the time at the ports. Takes a little time to get used to but we got into the beat in no time.

If you go to the port section of this message board under Europe you will find very valuable information from previous cruisers as well as information that other future cruisers have found. You will also see a trend towards independant excursions on this board however we chose RCCL excursions to avoid being late for the ship in Rome and Florence (ports are 1 1/2 hour away from the cities) however in Villefranche France we did our own thing. Depends on your itinerary for this cruise and how you want to plan your days.

What a great gift for your parents

Enjoy your cruise

All:

What great feedback! Thanks to all who took the time to answer. It's much appreciated. I'll keep the aft cabin, take the RCCL excursions, look at the Port section, do the late seatings, and all the other tips given (and leave any worries back here in the States).

Thanks again, and I'm now a dedicated CruiseCritic board contributor!

DK,

We were "talked into" an aft cabin on Celebrity Constellation last winter in the southern Carribean. It was a special treat but spoiled us. I believe you will feel the same way by the end of your cruise. Since you will be in the Med the water should be calmer than a larger body of water and will make your journey more enjoyable.

The views as you cruise near land will be unbelievable. Be sure to order up room service for at least one breakfast early in the cruise. You will feel as though you dining on your own yacht. Bring lots of film (or a big memory stick) 'cuz you will get some spectacular unobstructed shots of sites behind the ship (we got a full shot of a "tall ship" in Barbados and a harbor shot of St. Thomas that could be used for posters at a travel agency)

Bring some bungee cords with the hooks to secure your door if you like the breeze flowing through your room.

Archived