Taxis in Dublin

oufpat

We'll be spending a day in Dublin on our British Isles Cruise. The ship's shuttle will leave us near Trinity College. From here we would like to go to Kilmainham Gaol, the Guinness Storehouse, then back to Trinity College for the return shuttle. Is it best to take cabs between the locations, or does the HOHO bus cover these on their route?

Taxis are probably your best bet. The HoHo (two different companies) will cover these, but with traffic, timing will be unreliable. We found Kilmainham Gaol fascinating, albeit heavy, and one of the highlights during our Dublin stay (we were there prior/post cruise.) Please make sure you book in for a tour in advance ... they book up and it's rare to get in on a walk up basis.

The Storehouse is also a neat visit although it can be quite busy during season. Another place you'll want to book in advance. If you are a beer lover (DH is, me not so much,) check out the Connoisseur Experience - a bit pricey but worth every Euro!

Would be happy to answer any other questions.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, DogLover said:

Taxis are probably your best bet. The HoHo (two different companies) will cover these, but with traffic, timing will be unreliable. We found Kilmainham Gaol fascinating, albeit heavy, and one of the highlights during our Dublin stay (we were there prior/post cruise.) Please make sure you book in for a tour in advance ... they book up and it's rare to get in on a walk up basis.

The Storehouse is also a neat visit although it can be quite busy during season. Another place you'll want to book in advance. If you are a beer lover (DH is, me not so much,) check out the Connoisseur Experience - a bit pricey but worth every Euro!

Would be happy to answer any other questions.

Any suggestion on who to book with?

2 hours ago, Two from Virginia said:

Any suggestion on who to book with?

If looking at the HoHo bus, I would recommend going with City Sightseeing (red bus) - their reviews are better and although I didn't use them in Dublin, I have in other cities: https://citysightseeingdublin.ie/hop-on-hop-off/

Purchasing advance tickets to Kilmainham Gaol can be done directly with Heritage Ireland: http://www.kilmainhamgaolmuseum.ie/

We only used taxis a couple of times in Dublin and didn't book in advance. Taxis are readily available at the port and around tourist attractions. We did reserve private transportation several times and used LFL limos - very prompt and courteous drivers.

https://www.lflcs.com/

To book the Guinness tour (and to add the Connoisseur Experience to your ticket if it's available on that date) go here:

https://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en

Hope this helps.

I just stayed at the Herbert Park Hotel in Ballsbridge, which was fabulous.

We had a great meal at the Lobster Pot just around the corner and a night cap at the pub next door.

Had the best breakfast at a hotel I have seen in a long tíme. Taxi to the city center was less than €13.00

3 hours ago, gatorkids said:

Do you have any Dublin

hotel recommendations for before & after cruise?

It really depends on your budget, any loyalty programs you might belong to and area you wish to stay. Prepare for sticker shock as lodging costs a premium in Dublin.

As we didn't want to stay city center and are Hilton Honors, we opted for the Hilton Kilmainham (literally across the street from the Gaol) for our stays prior to the cruise. After the cruise, we stayed at the Grand Hotel Malahide (a lovely little seaside town north of Dublin towards the airport.)

Good luck!