Cancellation question

KevBew

My sister and her husband booked for a family reunion cruise departing on Sunday. He just got some news that may lead to him not being able to go. Can he bow out without having any effect on her travel plans? She plans on going because this had been a difficult trip to plan. She doesn't want to miss the trip for something that she isn't involved with. Will there be fees involved? What would they need to do? She just found out and they will be calling RC tomorrow morning but I was hoping someone here had an answer to calm her nerves. Thanks in advance.

The answer is yes, she can certainly travel without him. The answer is also that RCI will not refund his cruise fare (if they leave Sunday they are in the 100% penalty phase, I believe). He would, of course, need to find out about air fare cancellation/change fees, etc.

If they have insurance through RCI, then I believe he can cancel through that insurance and be issued a future cruise credit for a certain percentage of his fare. If they have third party insurance and if he's cancelling for a covered reason, then he should file a claim for his out-of-pocket, non-refundable fare and/or fees.

Hope he can go--that would solve any complications.

beachchick

I can only tell you what happened for our cruise. One lady had to cancel, just over a week ago due to heart surgery, and because she had the insurance, will receive the full refund. The lady sharing her stateroom, had to pay just over $900.00 extra, which will be reimbursed in full with in 6 months from the same insurance or RC. If you cancel during the last 5 days, and have the insurance you will get only 50% back, so she was told. Suggest you contact your TA, but this is what is happening to Golden girls minus one.

So let me get this straight. You are saying, if my cabin mate for whatever reason doesn't show up, they'll charge me her fare???

Well, SOMEONE has to pay it. The cabins are booked on a double occupancy basis. If the other person backs out, then either they will not receive a refund (unless they have insurance), or you will have to pay for the other berth. This is one of the key benefits of insurance - if one backs out, the other still gets to go without paying for the other half.

Seems to me the cruise is already paid for in FULL.......She can go by herself without paying anything additional...Maybe I'm missing something here.:confused: Cabin is already paid for in Full......you can go by yourself without a problem, it's just like a no show,no problem....

Jimbo:)

Turns out they will end up without a refund of any sort (and that's not a problem) so she will be going without additional fees. They explained that if you were traveling solo, there is a "single supplement" and that pretty much makes the fare equal to double occupancy. I had read the doc's and it stated that all pasengers booked MUST show up for you to board. We were worried she would be left behind.

Turns out they will end up without a refund of any sort (and that's not a problem) so she will be going without additional fees. They explained that if you were traveling solo, there is a "single supplement" and that pretty much makes the fare equal to double occupancy. I had read the doc's and it stated that all pasengers booked MUST show up for you to board. We were worried she would be left behind.

Seems to me the cruise is already paid for in FULL.......She can go by herself without paying anything additional...Maybe I'm missing something here

No, you are correct - I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was that the other passenger wasn't going to get a refund for not going, and if somehow they DID, then the other passenger would have to pony up for a single cabin. One way or another, SOMEONE (the passenger backing out, the single, the insurance company) will pay for the other berth.

Oct 04 3 days before the cruise my roommates husband died ( had been in a coma on a vent for almost 3 years so it was a blessing), we were part of a group of 6 gals going...we all went without her ( her decision) with a heavy heart. We had insurance thru RCCL and my TA said it was RCCL's call whether to charge me for her fare and then I submit an ins claim as well as my roommate submitting a claim. RCl ultimately decided that I didn't have to pay extra and my friend submitted a claim and received payment 8 weeks later.

Archived