Concerns about Scenic from a US person

Aapreciate

As for champagne, I did notice that it was only available at breakfast, but other sparklings are available in the evening.

I find this comment very interesting as I quite often would get a mimosa mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon - you just have to ask.

Given all the conflicting views, though mostly booze related, I am eager to see how our Scenic cruise goes. They have already informed us of a boat change - 3 weeks prior to leaving - though did not imply it was due to water levels. We were bummed as they had to downgrade our room moving from the Jasper to the Ruby since our room level was not available. Hopefully no other bummers in making this ship change. r 

On 10/10/2019 at 5:34 AM, djh1959 said:

We are leaving this evening for Amsterdam, and boarding Scenic Pearl on Monday for the Rhine Highlights cruise.  I am very interested in how the food and booze will be, but I am pretty confident.  From reading many posts here, on other forums and on Facebook, most people rate it very highly but there are odd people who don't, as someone else said food is very subjective.

I have read the drinks menu and it is extremely comprehensive.  I really only drink wine with an occasional cocktail, so I will report back on the quality of the red wines - we are very fussy about them.  As for champagne, I did notice that it was only available at breakfast, but other sparklings are available in the evening.  I will just make a point of having one for breakfast each day - I am on holidays and certainly not driving lol.

One of the above posts commented on being in a Royal Suite so therefore getting better wine.  We are only in a Junior Suite on the top deck, not a Royal, but nothing I have been told or read says that the wine is any different.

We’re in a Junior Suite on Crystal now. As of Day Three of our Romantic Rhine and Moselle cruise I have found the food to be good to very good, service excellent, wine just fine for my pallet(YMMV) and booze selection more than I need. 

I opened the minibar to see what was in it but since our suite is about 20 seconds from the lounge I just go there to get drinks. As someone else said you can have your butler bring you drinks but if you have clothes on it is much faster to just go get it. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 2:22 PM, jeb_bud said:

We’re in a Junior Suite on Crystal now. As of Day Three of our Romantic Rhine and Moselle cruise I have found the food to be good to very good, service excellent, wine just fine for my pallet(YMMV) and booze selection more than I need. 

I opened the minibar to see what was in it but since our suite is about 20 seconds from the lounge I just go there to get drinks. As someone else said you can have your butler bring you drinks but if you have clothes on it is much faster to just go get it. 

Glad to hear your trip is going well jeb_bud. We have been in drizzly Amsterdam for 24 hours now and board our shop on Monday. Presumably it is still the Pearl, we haven't heard otherwise. 

Can't wait to get onboard and find out for ourselves, but I have never really worried about food and wine because there are so many great reports. 

I can't imagine water levels being much of a problem in the rain here is anything to go on. 

As you get away from Amsterdam it has been getting less rainy.  Thank goodness!

Back to the discussion of liquor, if you are a fan of American whiskeys don't get your hopes up. While there is a nice selection of Scotch, America provides Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and Makers Mark.  Pedestrian indeed.

On the other hand they have Havana Club 7 year old rum.  If I could get that from my local liquor store I would be a rum drinker!

We are from the UK.  Have done two Scenic cruises, one on the Rhine when the river levels were a big problem.  However we were recompensed for changes on 3 days.

This year we did the Bordeaux cruise.  It was wonderful.  Food and drinks excellent.  A mixed bunch of those from the UK, Australia, Canada and the US.  Really nice people.  Of course it was wine focused but anyone who books a  trip in this region without realising that has done absolutely no research.  Bordeaux is a great base, and we knew of course in advance that there would be limited cruising.  Included trips were excellent.  My DH loved the cooking classes onboard. 

Research is always the key.  Some people apparently have no idea what they have booked.