Hello Everyone I have questions about the Ryndam

InsureFun

Hello everyone, I have some questions about HAL's Ryndam, hubby and I have booked on the May 7th sailing from Vancouver RT to Alaska. Our last cruise was many years ago on Carnival and am so excited about this trip. I know my questions may sound weird and ignorant for those of you who do a lot of cruises and are familiar with HAL, heck that's why I am here picking your brains! Here goes nothing;

1) I saw the room service menu on an online review and it was very limited. Is it possible to order meals to go from the dining room? I know it's a strange question but I don't want to miss a moment of scenery and if it's a nice night we'd rather eat on the balcony.

2) Is the outside readily visible main dining room and Pinnacle?

3) Is the Pinnacle open for breakfast? What night do you prefer reserving a table, first night, middle of the week or lastnight, and why?

4) I read in a review, granted an older one, that there was a Dutch Tea, is that still the case?

5) I also understand that there have been problems with the plumbing, has anyone sailed her recently? Have those issues been resolved (crossing fingers)?

6) What percentage of men wear tuxes? I am trying my hardest to get my husband to rent one for the cruise but he says a dark blue suit will be fine.

7) How did you like the excursions booked through HAL versus booking your own?

Thanks for any assistance you can render and suggestions are always welcome.

Patricia

I'll take a stab at some of this:

The full dining room dinner menu is available via room service. You have to call in the first 30-45 (?) minutes of the first sitting, for delivery at a time of your choice. Don't forget, in May the scenery will be available 'til quite late.

The dining room is aft, will large windows all around. There is a great view, but it's better if you are actually sitting nearer the windows. The Pinnacle has windows on the side, so there is some view there, too.

IF the Pinnalce is open for breakfast it is for Suite guests. The menu is the same as the dining room. Why not have breakfast in the Lido---or even by the pool!---for more of that great view.

I would not have dinner there the last night as I like to say "good-bye" to my tablemates and stewards. Are you aware that it's half-price the first night?

Even if there has been no problem with the plumbing in ages doesn't mean it can't break the moment you board; if it's been problematic, it could be fixed by the time you board. Just like at home.

Your husband's dark blue suit will amply meet the code for formal night, but it isn't "formal". Could you try to convince him he'll look soooo much better in that tux? How about the "less to pack and carry" argument?

I'm fine with booking my excursions through HAL because I (usually) travel alone. I would consider booking on my own in Alaska, though, because I'm comfortable with the language, money, and the ports. It's kind of hard to get too lost.

Suggestions: be prepared for any and all types of weather. Layer, layer, layer is the watchword. I've been to Juneau in May when it was in the 90's, and in July when it was more like 50's. Once in Skagway I started the day in a sweatsuit with a sweater underneath, and was in cotton shorts and top by noon.

Bring gloves---those glaciers give off a lot of cold.

Toss-away raincovers are a good idea.

Enjoy The Great Land!

You didn't mention if you were in a full suite or a regular balcony cabin. If you are in a full suite there will be no problem eating on your balcony as there is a table, 4 chairs, 2 lounge chairs and a cocktail table.

Mini suites have only a lounge chair, regular chair and a very small cocktail table.

Dinner on the verandah in Alaska - very chilly most of the time.

We have already booked our tours for Alaska through HAL.

Hello everyone, I have some questions about HAL's Ryndam, hubby and I have booked on the May 7th sailing from Vancouver RT to Alaska. Our last cruise was many years ago on Carnival and am so excited about this trip. I know my questions may sound weird and ignorant for those of you who do a lot of cruises and are familiar with HAL, heck that's why I am here picking your brains! Here goes nothing;

1) I saw the room service menu on an online review and it was very limited. Is it possible to order meals to go from the dining room? I know it's a strange question but I don't want to miss a moment of scenery and if it's a nice night we'd rather eat on the balcony.

As long as you are ordering during mealtime, you can get the dining room menu. For dinner, try to order early and tell them when you want your meal delivered.

2) Is the outside readily visible main dining room and Pinnacle?

Yes, you can see outside from both restaurants.

3) Is the Pinnacle open for breakfast? What night do you prefer reserving a table, first night, middle of the week or lastnight, and why?

It was not when we sailed in April 2005.

4) I read in a review, granted an older one, that there was a Dutch Tea, is that still the case?

Yep. There is a high tea.

5) I also understand that there have been problems with the plumbing, has anyone sailed her recently? Have those issues been resolved (crossing fingers)?

I don't recall seeing any. That doesn't mean that someone won't try to flush something large on your cruise and plug things up temporarily, but there weren't any systeminc problems.

6) What percentage of men wear tuxes? I am trying my hardest to get my husband to rent one for the cruise but he says a dark blue suit will be fine.

It's probably at least 50%, but the dark suit and tie will be fine.

7) How did you like the excursions booked through HAL versus booking your own?

The answer there is "It depends." If you like to go on your own, then by all means book your own. Make sure you do your research on the destination boards though. We've done both and have been fine with both.

Thanks for any assistance you can render and suggestions are always welcome.

You're welcome.

Patricia

I doubt I'll eat much at the Lido I am really not keen on buffets. I was thinking a nice leisurely breakfast at the Pinnacle would be great since we dock in Skagway at about 7am...it would have been a great way to start the day.

We just have a regular balcony, not a suite, but I was hoping we could maybe drag a chair from the room. A makeshift solution is better than nothing.

I'm happy that I can get room service off the dining room menu. As for the cold, that won't bother me, I expect to be so transfixed by the beauty that I won't even notice.

The layering suggestion is noted but it makes packing light more difficult.

I think I can get Eric to wear a tux, I found a link thanks to a CCer on another thread where they can be rented on the ship ahead of time. Gradually he's relenting as the time draws nearer.

Archived