OK cruise experts let me know what you think

Hflors

DH and I are going on the Spirit next Jan 2 out of New york. We live very close to Deleware. today DH tells me he decided we should drive up to NY the morning of the cruise. It's only 4 hours from here. He says we will have plenty of time to get there park the car and get on the ship before it sails.

Well I felt an immediate panick attack. I actually felt ill. I had visions of the ship leaveing without us. I told him how I felt and he says I worry toooooo much, and everything will be fine.

I need to know from all of you if you think this will work? Anyone from New York I need info about traffic and possible problems?

My heart is pounding just thinking about driving to New York on the day of my cruise? Any suggestions?

January can bring snow & ice and make the roads impassible. You will probably be fine if the weather is good, but make sure you check the forcast in enough time to leave the day before if necessary.

;) A Tuesday sailing out of NYC right? Once againl, check the forcast to make sure that the weather cooperates with your DH's plan. Of course, you can drive without a problem as long as there is no snow or ice falling. You can go over the George Washington Bridge from NJ and then onto the Henry Hudson Pkwy which should cut down on cross town traffic problems. Try not to hit NYC before 10am due to rush hour traffic.

January can bring snow & ice and make the roads impassible. You will probably be fine if the weather is good, but make sure you check the forcast in enough time to leave the day before if necessary.

This is sound advice and even leave extra early so "just in case" with road conditions on a 4 hour trip.

I'll always remember being the last plane out during a nor'easter and I'm so happy not to deal with that because of the DAWN!

These are not necessarily good directions. It is much longer this way. You should listen to the traffic reports as you get close to NY(either on 1010 wins or 880 wcbs- 1010 has traffic onj the ones and 880 at the eights(every ten minutes). Whichever tunnel or bridge has the shortest wait is the way to go, The directions for each way are pretty easy.

From the GW bridge take the HH parway south you come to the end and on the right is the cruise terminal...

From the Lincoln Tunnel take the exits that say north to 42nd street north

go up 10th Avenue to 59th street make a left go under the highway and turn left(only way) you come back out to the cruise terminal(can't miss it)

Through the holland tunnel take the first exit turn right at the light and go straight up this street(it eventually will become 8th Avenue) at 23rd street make the left and then a right on 10th Avenue again and follow the instruction above.

Its an easy drive really and you really stay on the periphery of the truely outrageous NY traffic...

and leave early! I would aim to be here by 11:30 so if there is a problem you'll have plenty of time.

I don't think you'll have any problems provided you leave extra time for weather and traffic. I would go through the Lincoln Tunnel.

One thought might be to drive up to NJ the night before and stay at a hotel right outside of the city. There's plenty of inexpensive, clean lodging within ten minutes of the the Lincoln Tunnel on the NJ side. I think the Fairfield II is about $95/night.

Have gone in the winter months out of NY a bunch of times, and have everything down to a science the way i like to do it. We are in the same situation and live 4 hours out, but north. We always leave the day before, take a leisurely drive down and stay about 30 minutes out of the city (have never stayed at the same hotel twice) so that the drive to the pier the next morning is only a hop skip and a jump. In addition ot the weather factor, what if you were to get a flat tire?.....Other car problems where you have to wait for a tow truck, find out where your cae is going to stay for a week since you wont be there. I just have a much better state of mind headin in the day before. Hope you have a great trip!

For the last four years the weather for that week has been exceptional - in the 50's (next year it will probably snow!!!). We live in NJ and use the NJ turnpike -if we leave the Cherry Hill area at 8 we don't hit much traffic until we hit the tunnel and even then it's not so bad. We can be at the pier by 10:30. I would leave at 6am and figure on getting there by 11. Even if you are delayed a bit - the ship doesn't sail until evening.

Well I felt an immediate panick attack......

I actually felt ill.......

My heart is pounding just thinking about driving to New York......

If this is causing you actual health issues, my all means try and convince your husband to drive to NY the day before. The couple hundred $ hotel, is better than having to live like that worrying!! :o

We have driven from Virginia for one of our cruises on the Dawn and we took the train for one of the cruises. As long as you give yourself enough time to allow for a delay you should be fine. I do agree that going up a day early is a great idea. We are going a day early for our cruise on the Jewel out of Miami.

I live in northern NJ. I have driven to the NYC pier and sailed from there many times. I have also driven down to Delaware many times. My advice, come up the day before and stay at a hotel in NJ. You can't trust the roads and traffic in the State. Better safe then sorry.

I would be N & J too. (nervous and jerky) :) Perhaps DH's Christmas gift will be a hotel room?

I think this is the best idea of all! (And your hubby has almost a year to see the wisdom of your idea to go ahead.)

I'm one of those who can't rest until I know everything is in order. I would do everything I could to go a day ahead of time. You can never predict the unpredictable.:p

Have fun!

Hikini

For the last four years the weather for that week has been exceptional - in the 50's (next year it will probably snow!!!). We live in NJ and use the NJ turnpike -if we leave the Cherry Hill area at 8 we don't hit much traffic until we hit the tunnel and even then it's not so bad. We can be at the pier by 10:30. I would leave at 6am and figure on getting there by 11. Even if you are delayed a bit - the ship doesn't sail until evening.
Hi. I live near the philadelphia area. Me and my DH will be on the spirit out of NY on May 13th. What tunnel did you take to get to the cruise terminal?

I'm going to add another vote for come the day before and get a hotel nearby.

We sailed out of NYC in July of 2004. We left from my brother's house in Union, NJ, which shouldn't have been more than an hour max to the pier. Left at 11:30 am (they had to attend a funeral that morning) and because of traffic, we did not get to the pier till 3pm for a 4:00 final boarding call!!

Murphy's Law always prevails if you need to be somewhere. Book the room, and have the peace of mind!

You've gotten a lot of good advice from a lot of people. My advice is for you to calm down and don't worry about it. Your cruise is a whole year away and if you continually worry about this, you'll have a breakdown or something. So just stay cool, calm, and collected, and by next year I'll bet everything will work out fine. ;)

DH and I are going on the Spirit next Jan 2 out of New York. We live very close to Delaware. today DH tells me he decided we should drive up to NY the morning of the cruise. It's only 4 hours from here. He says we will have plenty of time to get there park the car and get on the ship before it sails.

Well I felt an immediate panick attack. I actually felt ill. I had visions of the ship leaving without us. I told him how I felt and he says I worry toooooo much, and everything will be fine.

I need to know from all of you if you think this will work? Anyone from New York I need info about traffic and possible problems?

My heart is pounding just thinking about driving to New York on the day of my cruise? Any suggestions?

Hi Hflors,

I used to travel from Rockland County New York (new City) near Tappan Zee Bridge all the way to Rockville Maryland quite frequently. I would usually do this during the week and leave around 9AM, it usually took me 3.5 -4 hours door to door. I would think on a Sunday morning it could be done a little over 3 hours (of course I would speed), bu this was before 65 hour speed limit too.

I kind of agree with you. I would be much more comfortable if your DH would a lot 5-6 hours and get there early. I think it would go a long way to smoothing things out.

So, if he likes to gamble leave it at 4 (you'll more than likely make it), but I'd say go with 5-6 (what happens if you do get pulled over as I believe DH was planning on being a bit heavy on foot, or what about a flat tire).

I would usually agree with DH but you really don't want to start a vacation that way.

my 2 cents

Archived