Price drop question/Refundable to NRD

Just called to see if our cruise had a price drop (final payoff date is this coming Monday).  I looked online prior to calling and saw that the price of the cruise went down approx $300.  When my wife called RC to have them check they stated there would be a $100 charge per person to switch from a refundable deposit booking (which was what we currently have booked) to the non-refundable rate.  Is this correct?  Couldn't find anything online about it.  Thanks

Our price dropped $550 a person! We just booked yesterday . They are trying to contest ours saying the travel agent put a hold on it Wednesday.... which that is still two days. But I didn’t pay or confirm until yesterday ! He is submitting the form tonight but we will have to wait til Monday. This is my first RCL cruise so this is going to decide if I cruise with them again after this. I went through all the details for the 48 hr deal and we should qualify , sounds like they are trying to find ways out. I hope their customer service makes it right 

1 hour ago, Camuy82 said:

Our price dropped $550 a person! We just booked yesterday . They are trying to contest ours saying the travel agent put a hold on it Wednesday.... which that is still two days. But I didn’t pay or confirm until yesterday ! He is submitting the form tonight but we will have to wait til Monday. This is my first RCL cruise so this is going to decide if I cruise with them again after this. I went through all the details for the 48 hr deal and we should qualify , sounds like they are trying to find ways out. I hope their customer service makes it right 

Here’s the terms and conditions..  everything refers to the 48 hour starting when the reservation is created or reserved and not when you paid the deposit.  This is on your travel agent not  Royal.

When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund.

An eligible, fare must be:

a) Available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) Available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and 

c) A rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the "Going. Going. Gone Sales Events"; Travel Advisor, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; the Ultimate Family Suite onboard Symphony of the Seas and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

Terms & Conditions

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee applies to the cruise rate only. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee will not apply to government fees and taxes and/or any fuel supplement charge. Lower rates must be Royal Caribbean’s publicly advertised rates available to the general public. Group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Advisor promotions not offered by Royal Caribbean to the general public, including but not limited to Travel Advisor rebates are ineligible. To submit a Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim, please click on the link above and complete all the required information. You will be asked to provide the lower rate amount and where the rate can be found. The lower rate must: i) be for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests; and ii) be available for reserving at the time Royal Caribbean reviews your submitted Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim form. All Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim forms must be submitted on-line within 48 hours of reserving your cruise and verified by Royal Caribbean in order to qualify for the onboard credit. The onboard credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit will be forfeited. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee may be discontinued or changed at any time without notice. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee is applicable to North American reservations only.

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here’s the terms and conditions..  everything refers to the 48 hour starting when the reservation is created or reserved and not when you paid the deposit.  This is on your travel agent not  Royal.

When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund.

An eligible, fare must be:

a) Available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) Available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and 

c) A rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the "Going. Going. Gone Sales Events"; Travel Advisor, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; the Ultimate Family Suite onboard Symphony of the Seas and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

Terms & Conditions

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee applies to the cruise rate only. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee will not apply to government fees and taxes and/or any fuel supplement charge. Lower rates must be Royal Caribbean’s publicly advertised rates available to the general public. Group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Advisor promotions not offered by Royal Caribbean to the general public, including but not limited to Travel Advisor rebates are ineligible. To submit a Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim, please click on the link above and complete all the required information. You will be asked to provide the lower rate amount and where the rate can be found. The lower rate must: i) be for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests; and ii) be available for reserving at the time Royal Caribbean reviews your submitted Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim form. All Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim forms must be submitted on-line within 48 hours of reserving your cruise and verified by Royal Caribbean in order to qualify for the onboard credit. The onboard credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit will be forfeited. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee may be discontinued or changed at any time without notice. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee is applicable to North American reservations only.

So I spoke to them Wednesday and they put a hold...but then yesterday I went ahead and rather than cancel I booked ...had i booked on my own and not through a travel agent, RCL would have honored the 48 hours since it was a fresh booking? That seems unfair...because I did not pay and confirm any reservation until yesterday. Either way, it has only been 2 days. They tried to then say I could buy a balcony....like they are trying to have me pay more. I wouldn't care if it was so little but basically, it is the fare for my 18 month old...and in exchange we could use those funds for excursions. makes me sick to my stomach :(  I usually  book on my own, i was just busy at work and let someone else do it.

6 minutes ago, Camuy82 said:

I only see where it states when the reservation is made....i made the reservation yesterday when I made the payment.  I do not see where it says about anything being held... appreciate the response!! 

1 minute ago, Camuy82 said:

So I spoke to them Wednesday and they put a hold...but then yesterday I went ahead and rather than cancel I booked ...had i booked on my own and not through a travel agent, RCL would have honored the 48 hours since it was a fresh booking? That seems unfair...because I did not pay and confirm any reservation until yesterday. Either way, it has only been 2 days. They tried to then say I could buy a balcony....like they are trying to have me pay more. I wouldn't care if it was so little but basically, it is the fare for my 18 month old...and in exchange we could use those funds for excursions. makes me sick to my stomach 😞  I usually  book on my own, i was just busy at work and let someone else do it.

When an agent puts  a hold on the room it basically is creating the reservation.  At that pount you have a reservation number and a room is assigned.

On the other side of the coin, in that 2 days the price could have gone up by $500 or more before you paid the deposit and you would have paid the lower price because you had a reservation that was already already booked even though you had not paid the deposit.

3 minutes ago, Camuy82 said:

I only see where it states when the reservation is made....i made the reservation yesterday when I made the payment.  I do not see where it says about anything being held... appreciate the response!! 

Reservation amd held are the same thing.

your agent should have checked the price before taking your deposit.  If the price was the same they should have created a new booking thusly starting the 48 hour clock at that point.  It sounds like you could have benefitted from the kids sail free promo which lowered your price.  Agents did receive advance notice of that promotion.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Reservation amd held are the same thing.

interesting, I never was aware of that. Because the rate stayed the same, and i didn't receive any info or room number info until i confirmed and made payment in full, I did not receive any confirmation of reservation from RCL until yesterday. Do they hold it to the hour? because I am unsure what time I called the travel agent wednesday...but today would be the 2nd day even then...

interesting, I never was aware of that. Because the rate stayed the same, and i didn't receive any info or room number info until i confirmed and made payment in full, I did not receive any confirmation of reservation from RCL until yesterday. Do they hold it to the hour? because I am unsure what time I called the travel agent wednesday...but today would be the 2nd day even then...

Yes it is to the hour..  you may not have received confirmation of a room number but your agent had it.

well that sucks, I had no idea. I have never used a travel agent. i would have booked it myself then and not been in the situation. it makes me sick because its $1100....for an 18 month old...i could have had our shore excursions covered. 😞 any suggestions? assuming there is nothing I can do now. 

Just now, Camuy82 said:

well that sucks, I had no idea. I have never used a travel agent. i would have booked it myself then and not been in the situation. it makes me sick because its $1100....for an 18 month old...i could have had our shore excursions covered. 😞 any suggestions? assuming there is nothing I can do now. 

When is  your cruise?  Depending what penalty phase you are in you may be able to cancel and the penalty may be less than what you could save

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

When is  your cruise?  Depending what penalty phase you are in you may be able to cancel and the penalty may be less than what you could save

my travel agent asked that....i just booked this 24 hours ago and they said if i try to cancel RCL will keep 75% of the fee. I never expected that either. 

If it’s the cruise in your signature you are 98 days away and you are before final payment. 

The penalty to cancel is only $100 per person.  You should be able to cancel the third guest and have that penalty applied to the booking.

At most there would be a $300 penalty but it might only be $200.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

If it’s the cruise in your signature you are 98 days away and you are before final payment. 

The penalty to cancel is only $100 per person.  You should be.p able to cancel the third guest and have that penalty applied to the booking.

At most there would be a $300 penalty but it might only be $200.

Sorry I looked at the original posters signature.

What  date is your cruise?

Unfortunately you are in the 75% penalty phase.

hopefully your agent will have luck with them and they will make an exception.

yes i am hoping!!! thanks for the help. it is a bad situation...but we would spend it all on board anyway lol photo package and excursions was our plan. heck we could have had a balcony for what we paid and are just getting an interior. 

yes i am hoping!!! thanks for the help. it is a bad situation...but we would spend it all on board anyway lol photo package and excursions was our plan. heck we could have had a balcony for what we paid and are just getting an interior. 

Get your agent to ask if you can upgrade your cabin.  That should be a possibility.  Not the same as getting cash back but it would help ease the pain. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Get your agent to ask if you can upgrade your cabin.  That should be a possibility.  Not the same as getting cash back but it would help ease the pain. 

yes i would take that as a consolation prize haha! better than nothing. wish me luck!! 

• Like 1